How does App Distribuation Work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Shock, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Shock

Shock New Member

[RESOLVED]How does App Distribuation Work?

When i go to itunes/app store and see all these great apps, free, and not free. Im just wondering, who makes these aps? just people like us or Apple technicians? How do you make these apps? And can some one like me mak ean app and tell Apple to sell them for me or something?

Thanks.
  2. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yes, people like you and me make the more basic ones because the more advanced (games and such) require funding most likely and are made by people in the game dev industry. If you want to make an app and are on a mac you can download the free SDK and start that way, if you are on a windows it's a whole nother story. If you made them with the SDK then you can sell them through the app store, you send them to apple for review then they put them on and you get either 70 or 60% of profit...
  3. Shock

Shock New Member

Wow, thanks man! This is exactly what i needed to know. But I got a new question, could some one make an app for some one else and send it to them or do all apps have to be downloaded from app store?

Thanks!
  4. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    well if you arn't jailbroken then no you cannot be sent an app and then install into your ipod.
    Apple does check all app entries, and are notorious for denying them. (Except of course google *cough*)

If you have a jailbroken ipod, then you can SSH into it, then put the app in a folder, and then you can use it that way.
  5. Shock

Shock New Member

So if your app gets rejected by Apple, you app is useless, you cant even put it on your ipod if its not jail broken?
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    • Study Objective-C (If you haven't yet done so)
    • Download the SDK (Free) while you study. Mac OS X Only and you need X-Code (Also Free and available on your Mac OS X install Disc and on Apple's Developer site.)
    • Create your App.
    • If you want it on the App Store, you must pay the $99 a year Fee. This allows you to submit your App to Apple for a reviewing process. After that, it will be put into the App Store for sale. This also allows you to install the App to your device officially. Also allows you to select Beta testers by provisioning their devices. Which allows them to install certain Apps that you create of your choosing.
  7. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah pre much. i mean it just means that there are bugs in it, or that the app is "inappropriate" for App Store. Not like dirty, something that messes with the iPod that only Cydia would allow. Like an app called flashlight which brightens the screen was rejected from app store cuz it messed with the settings. anyway. if you are jailbroken you can get em on it, but since ur 2g. nope sorry.
  8. Shock

Shock New Member

Okay thanks guys, i dont want to jail break my ipod anyways. Even if i could..
  9. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    haha, yeah sure once you go jb you can never go back.
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Wrong. I stopped Jailbreaking after 1.1.1. And I never went back. Sure I JBed to try the 2.0 Betas, but I stopped after my device was validated to use them.