How does Android 2.2 Froyo and Symbian 3 compare to iPhone OS 4?

Discussion in 'iDevice competitors' started by i0range, May 31, 2010.

1. i0range

i0range New Member

How does Android 2.2 Froyo and Symbian 3 compare to iPhone OS 4? I guess each of them have their own advantages?

iPhone OS 4
    -Power efficient multitasking?
    -More user friendly?
    -More stable?

Symbian 3
    -USB On-The-Go (transfer files from USB flash drive or portable hard drive with cable, connect USB keyboard, connect to second phone, etc)

Android 2.2
    -2x faster than iPad and much faster than 2.1
    -Use phone as Wi-Fi hotspot (great for your iPod touch =])
    -Flash 10 support
    -Open..ness..?

What are your thoughts? Feel free to add to the list =] Thanks for your help, I am looking at buying a new phone soon and all help would be appreciated
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i dont think symbian is really a major competitor compared to the other 2.
    i have a droid, and i think froyo is going to be pretty great, and yes better than iphone 4.0.
  3. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I would hardly call it faster.
  4. i0range

i0range New Member

5. ThaCrossroads

ThaCrossroads Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    android is the best
  6. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Without Symbian, I doubt we would be where we are today, I remember when it was all about Symbian

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good ol days.

iPhone OS is better, Android feels like Linux to me, incomplete and tacky

EDIT:And thats why its part of the Linux kernel,DOH! But still, I heard its a pain to update firmware?
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'd take android over iPhone OS any day. They are both almost equal feature wise now, but android has the advantage with syncing/pushing apps and media to and from the phone via the cloud. Facebook integration, if your into that? More customizable out of the box and an open-ish 3rd party app market. I can get complete homescreen replacements, keyboard replacements right from the market and side-load applications I can't get on the market. Try doing that on an iphone.

Games and themeing (via jailbreak) are the only advantages I see with the iPhone OS, but android is catching up with the games. Theming is a pain on android.

Plus you get a massive phone selection with android. You get 1 new iPhone once a year to choose from, Android gets a sh*t load in every size shape and color on every carrier there is.

Symbian? ha...
  8. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

I felt that older versions of Android were rather tacky as well, but it's grown by leaps and bounds. The interface is fantastic now, and I plan on purchasing an Android phone after the replacement for the Motorola Droid is released.

Firmware updating isn't a pain, but waiting for updates is. Due to the large amount of devices and the differences in interfaces (Sense UI, etc) and hardware each update has to be tailored for it's device. As a result, you end up with updates that can take a while to implement. Older devices sometimes don't even get updates.

That being said, I would take an Android phone over an iPhone any day. Yes, there are less apps, but let's face it - a ton of apps in the appstore are crappy and generally useless, like fart apps.
  9. PhoneSpook

PhoneSpook Guest

Hands-On Comparison

I've just moved from the iPhone 4 - which was a complete disaster as a phone (particularly if you're left handed). The iPhone has some wonderful features but the OS is nowhere near as good as Symbian ^3 on the N8. I've had it for a week now and I think Symbian has come a very long way. I've been using it for everything - music (3.5 days worth), video, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, WiFi... and not a single crash. The integrated SatNav is as good as the TomTom I bought in July.

Specifically:

Very smooth, very robust multi-tasking.
    Much improved memory management (not a single "Out of Memory" so far).
    Excellent, easy to use connectivity features.
    Very fast and responsive - when compared to the iOS 4.1
    A superb phone - still the first and foremost function.

I hate to say it, especially as I was a big iPhone fan; Symbian ^3 and the N8 are a vastly better combination of hardware and software. Having said that - there's one downside that defies reason - although iOS isn't nearly as good - Symbian just isn't as much fun.
  10. itouchcydia

itouchcydia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What about the whole list of software glitches and random restarts on the n8? I have had symbian since the good old nokia 3600. I am curious to know if you have faced any of these problems. Also they said that the N8 is lagging many times and the pinch to zoom and the scrolling basically takes some time to catch up.