How does an iPod touch 4G get scratched when in a case?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dj9928, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dj9928

dj9928 New Member

I bought a case of Amazon, its a nice snug fit on my 4G, had it on since I got the ipod a month or so ago, took it of the other day to clean to discover the back of my iPod all scratch and scuffed, so it seems it was a rather pointless exercise putting a case on it.
  2. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    It's caused by dirt, dust and lint that gets under the case. I had to learn this the hard way with my 3G. 1 year I've used my 3G it was in its case the whole time, when I sold it I discovered terrible scuffs on the back mostly.

That's why now I always recommend a skin/shield for the back. I recommend BestSkinsEver or GadgetShieldz. I had BSE on my 4G at the back and GadgetShieldz for the front, it's perfect protection againts scratches but will not save you from drops.
  3. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Dust/dirt particles being trapped behind the case, and due to friction/use rubbing against the chrome backing = scratches. If you want to keep it scratch free, put a clear skin on it (there are many brands). Mine looks mint, and will stay that way.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: Sorry, my post is identical to the dude above me. Your post wasn't there when I first read the topic.

4. JLick

JLick Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ye bro, not gonna repeat what they said, but I had this happen to my 2g...was PISSED cause I thought it was gonna be crispy clean cause of my case lol.

I took mine off after like 3 months (cause dust was in the cracks and i was gonna clean it out) and looked like wtf? Who been playing with my touch w/o the case.
  5. sudadoda

sudadoda Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Really only way to avoid it is to not open the itouch from original packing and not open the case from original packing until you have them both together and then you open them both on a soft surfact(pillow) and you apply the case. Then, You only take off the case off about every 3 months and when you do, wipe itouch clean and then wash the case. (ya, you wash it with water.) I hope this helps.

6. Evostance

Evostance Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Polish them out

I seem to have got 3 on my screen when its been in a sleeve. No idea how the hell thats happened. I thought the screen was supposed to be strong
  7. Outrun1986

Outrun1986 New Member

This is basically what I am going to do when I get mine. I have a case and a screen protector right now and I just ordered the iPod today. I ordered the case before I ordered the iPod. I don't want to do a clear skin because those require liquid most of the time and I do not want to do that type of installation.

Ha, I guess you would have to have 2 cases, one for when you take off the case after 3 months, since you will have to put it in a case since even if you take it out for a few minutes (the first case will probably take a little bit to dry after you wash it) and set it down on something other than a soft surface it will scratch.
  8. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I can understand that, as before I was hesitant and horrified at the idea of putting liquid on the device. But you're spraying the liquid onto the shield and not the device, after that squeegee the excess solution out to the sides and have a micro-fibre cloth ready. I fully understand your concern though, this is the first time I applied a shield with solution and it went perfect. Knowing that the chrome back is fully protected is good for me