How do you transfer (LEGAL) .apps into the device?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by GatorDeb, Mar 13, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Because of the number of apps I want to transfer (500+) iTunes hangs all the time. I want to do it through SSH. I went to /mobile/Applications and dropped an .app folder there. But it doesn't appear on the springboard or through Quick Gold even after a reboot. What I'm doing is taking the .ipa file from the iTunes Folder, changing .ipa to .zip, unzipping the Name.app folder, and then transferring that over.

Tips?

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

Methinks this is illegal activity...
  3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is?

Well if you can let me know how to fix iTunes so I can just click sync that'd be great but I've spent all day trying to do it. Can't be the jailbreak because beforehand I used to transfer 144 apps all the time, and since the jailbreak itunes hangs all the time after about 80 apps or so, and then crashes the device every 10 apps or so.

I can just have 50 apps or so in the device at all times, but I'd prefer to have all of them. And nothing I've tried works. I've deleted Winterboard, I've deleted Categories, and nothing. Still crashes the Touch.
  4. Tavis_C

Tavis_C Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Isn't 500 apps over the limit, in terms of homepages the iPod Touch can support? Maybe thats why its hanging up.Though, what do you need 500 apps for anyways?
  5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Quick Gold can find any app even if it goes over the limit.

The main reason is that I hate syncing (especially after today... uggh). I hate deleting, transferring, deleting, transferring. I'm the kind of person that likes to play 3 minutes of this, 3 minutes of that. And A LOT of my apps have saves (tons of puzzle games with levels) and if I delete it from the device, the save is gone. So I want to transfer them all and be done with it.

If it didn't give me any trouble with 144 apps before the JB it shouldn't after. Ticks me off that 80 crashes it so I can have less than that in the device for it to run stable.
  6. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You cant ssh them because the name has to be random letters and numbers. I dont Know if theres a pattern or not.
  7. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if you know how to change the .ipa to .app then you can ssh it directly and set the permissions. i don't know how.
  8. Protocol7

Protocol7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Installing apps manually takes the same amount of time. The USB port won't magically go faster.
  9. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yes i agree. but when done on a slower computer, dramatic changes occur. you know what i mean

10. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's not the time. It's the crashing. With iTunes the Touch crashes every 10 apps or so and takes 3-5 minutes to reboot. 50 reboots, 5 minutes each... trust me, ANYTHING else will be faster