How do you play files from i-pod through computer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supersezza, Nov 1, 2008.

1. supersezza

supersezza New Member

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I am new to i-pods after having creative zens for years.

My question is when my i-pod is connected to my laptop through the USB cable why can't I play audio files through itunes which are contained on my i-pod?

Ideally i'd like to be able to either click on the file in itunes and have it recognise my i-pod is a source or also be able to select things on my ipod and have it sync with itunes and play it through the computer, is this possible?

Anyone else think i-pods could be a bit more user friendly or is it just me? The simplest things seem to be really complicated, I am really surprised since they dominate the market so much, i have to say so far I am not 100% impressed.

Still any help would be greatly received,

Thanks,
    Sarah

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

In iTunes, just click your iPod then click music. Simple.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I think you have to click on 'manage music manually' first, then you can just double click on the songs and they'll play. I think.
  4. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have owned Sansa media players in the past, and they were good and very easy to use. As for the iPod Touch being hard to use ? It does not get much easier then this does it ? Touch interface, nice big icons, easy to read, flip through music like flipping through record covers.. What is there not to like ?

As for the iTunes software, i have to agree with you there. After using M$ Media Player for years and years and EphPod for my old iPod Mini and my g/f's shuffle, i found the change over to iTunes a bit of a drag. That and the lack of Linux support for iTunes means i have to load up on windows. Bit of a pain really. But like everything, i can put up with the bad, the painful and re-learning (iTunes) for the new good things the iPod Touch has to offer

I still have to say though i hated my iPhone that much as a phone, i sold it and bought a Nokia N95. I liked the interface for the iPhone, but as a phone it wasnt worth a pinch of poo. Loved the iPod part of it that much i bought the iPod touch. All the great parts of the iPhone without the crappy phone and SMS part! (oh, and the N95's bluetooth kicks the iPhones pitiful excuse to the curb!)

5. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

via itunes
  6. supersezza

supersezza New Member

Unfortunately I still can't get it to work.

I've ticked the manage music manually box and it still doesn't work.

This applies to music that I've put on my i-pod and then deleted from my computer.

I just get a little exclamation mark by the file and when I double click it it says file not found do i want to locate it manually, i've tried even searching for it through my ipod in my computer etc but to no avail.

am probably missing something really obvious mind! do u need the original files on your computer to play it?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    on the subject of the interface etc.

i like the actually i-pod touch it's itunes which gets me, drag and drop facilities don't seem to work to add files, also i think they could improve it by allowing it to be used as a flash drive, playlists could be a bit easy to use on the touch and videos capabilites could be more flexible and it would be great if you could watch flash things or the bbc i=player etc through safari...i think sometimes i expect too much of it and for it to be like a mini computer rather than an mp3 maybe!
  7. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Did you read my post? That's how you play the files. You can't delete the MP3 from your computer, then expect to be able to just play it from your iPod like that.

And you can watch the iPlayer via safari, I've done it several times.
    I believe there is a way to get the iPod touch to work like a removable hard-drive, but I'm not sure about that.
  8. supersezza

supersezza New Member

Apologies I did read it but thought you meant that you could just play all files through it not just ones located on your computer, i thought there might be a way of playing files on your computer through your i-pod. On my old creative zen one for example (which is 4 years old!) you can use their interface to play files on your computer but located on your mp3 player, i was surprised this wasn't the case with the touch.

i tell a lie about the i-player too it does work through quicktime it appears.