How do you edit how your icon looks on the home screen?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, May 21, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I made a cool icon for my game I'm working on, but when I send it over to my device, it automatically adds a border and glare. How can I get rid of that? I'm certain it's possible because apps like Trapped, Maps, Notes, Inotia, etc. don't have the big gloss line going through it.

Also, I've searched, and come up with about a billion threads on how to change your icons via a theme, but that's not what I'm talking about.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

UIApplicationUsesPrerenderedIcon, or UIUsesPrerenderedIcon, or something similar. Sorry I can't remember off the top if my head. Regardless, Xcode should just /tell/ you the correct key when you go to add it to your Info.plist. Set the key to true.
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks Skyler.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I got it figured out. I'm not certain what method you were talking about exactly. However, due to your advice I added a new key to the Info.plist and looked through the options until I saw something that looked like what I wanted.

I added the key "Icon already includes gloss and bevel effects" than checked the box, and it took off Apple's effects.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Lol, you're looking at the description and not the key name. Just right click on the Info.plist and click on "Show Raw Keys," or whatever the otpion is. Sorry, I'm on my phone right now, else I'd use my computer and find the exact verbiage. You'll see that you are using exactly what I told you to use.

The reason you're seeing the descriptions instead of the actual keys is because Apple think the average developer is too stupid to figure out what the keys all mean. [SARCASM]I mean, UIRequiresPersistentWiFI is just impossible to figure out without a description telling us what it does."[/SARCASM]

Alternatively, if you want to actually see the plist instead of its representation in the Property List tool, just open the plist in Dashcode.
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah, right, lol. Sorry, I'm new to developing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, I bet I know what UIRequiresPersistantWifi does! It allows the screen to rotate when you switch the device orientation, right??? Jk.

Nice tip about Dashcode. Hadn't really gotten around to seeing what Dashcode was used for yet.