how do you create a symlink from ~/library/downloads to /private/var/media?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supergirl13, Feb 2, 2009.

1. supergirl13

supergirl13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi,there everybody! I would like to know how to make a symlink from ~/library/downloads to /private/var/media using mobile terminal. I have diskaid
    instead of winscp because I tried to ssh into my ipod touch,which is jailbroken and I had open ssh installed and everything. I tried 150 times to get it to work but it wouldn't work. I need this symlink for mplayer because I want to be able to download .avi and .wmv files with the safari download plugin and be able to view the files right on my ipod touch without having to go to my computer to put the files in the /private/var/media folder because I won't always have my pc with me. So,how do I create a symlink from ~library/downloads to /private/var/media so that I can view the .avi files I downloaded from safari right on my ipod touch? Also,I have the finder app on my ipod touch. but,how do I create a symlink using mobile terminal?
    Thanks,supergirl13
  2. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    After I finished writing this, I remembered that you should try Core FTP Lite first, as it is much easier than MobileFinder: http://www.coreftp.com

This is probably more complicated than it needs to be, but you can do this from MobileFinder. I'm not sure if this is what you want, but this creates a shortcut in ~/library/downloads that leads to /private/var/media.
    Navigate to /private/var in Finder, and tap the media folder once. Once the media folder is highlighted, tap Create on the bottom bar, then Bookmark. Then, tap the little apple at the top right and then double tap the Bookmarks folder. You should see the Media bookmark there. Select it, then pick File>Move in the bottom bar. Navigate to ~library/downloads and then tap Paste in the bottom bar.
  3. supergirl13

supergirl13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks,it worked! it wasn't hard at all! it was like taking candy from a baby. it was that easy! now,I can download files from the internet and view them right on my ipod touch.
  4. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Glad I could help! I've never taken candy from a baby, though so I can't compare.
  5. supergirl13

supergirl13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    taking candy from a baby is just a figure of speech.
  6. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know, that was my sad attempt at a joke...
  7. seiskillz

seiskillz New Member

ok now i need some help. how do you get the videos into the itouch? i followed all of your steps. i saw some settings for the file synchronization does this mean that i change the local folder so that my itouch will synch the videos? by the way will having windows xp pro be a problem?