how do you connect to a network on a ipod touch with local internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gangsta19981, May 8, 2010.

1. gangsta19981

gangsta19981 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    not wifi
    its just how to connect internet on ipod touch with LOCAL INTERNET not wireless.
  2. SpoonIsTooBig

SpoonIsTooBig Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    there was a tutorial to do it through usb i think
  3. mk211

mk211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  4. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Are you talking about connecting your iPod Touch to the internet using the WiFi connection in your main computer, assuming that you do not have a wireless internet router and that your internet connection goes direct from your router or cable modem into the back of your computer via Ethernet?

If this is the case, let me know because I have a guide for connecting an iPod Touch to the internet via the built-in WiFi in an iMac which you may find useful.
  5. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, it just tethers your computers internet(regardless of the network connection) to your iPod. I tried it and it didn't work, and many people had the same problems.
  6. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't know if this is what you want, but if your computer is getting wired internet, then you can set up an Ad hoc network (this converts the wired signal into a wireless signal). I'm not exactly sure how to do this, but if you search Google for "create ad hoc network" you should get a few tutorials.
    Hope this is what you are looking for.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    By enabling Internet Sharing on my iMac I am easily able to access the internet on my iPod when at home. Sure, the iMac has to be turned on but it works fine.

I have a mid-2007 iMac with built-in WiFi but it is connected to the cable modem via ethernet. The iMac has the ability to share its ethernet connection over WiFi to anyone who knows the password. My iPod Touch is more than happy to do this providing I give it the correct details. It is handy for playing an online game and simultaneously being able to look up something on a website using the iPod.

Gangsta, can you let me know if this is what you are trying to do or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I have now posted my How To guide in the main iPod forum.

Here is the link : http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288771