How do in-app purchases work?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    In the game my dev team is doing next, we're trying to figure out how to do the levels. It will come with about 80 levels, than we're going to make DLC.

We were wondering if the in-app purchases need to use plists or if we can make the levels in code. The plists would be easier, but would make the online score boards horrible because they would be cheated to holy hell. While code would be harder to hack, but we're not sure if we can use it for the DLC?

Can someone explain how exactly the in-app purchases work? We know about the code part, but we don't know how the download gets used, what types of files are allowed in the DLC, etc.
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Dude, I see you ask a ton of questions that can be answered by actually reading the Documentation. Even looking at the headers, I can figure out how to use StoreKit. You should be able to also.
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Very sorry. I'll search harder before asking...
  4. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    In the future, please don't be so condescending and mean next time we ask a harmless question on the forums.

Thankyou and have a lovely day,

cocotutch
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In his text he is neither condescending nor mean to anyone. You're just reading sth. into it!

Store Kit Programming Guide
  6. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the link ChrisB.
  7. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    What Johnny probably means is that you should come here with specific doubts, instead of just asking "How to use it" and expecting for somebody to walk you through it.

You can read the documentation, or even the headers (personally, I've never read the documentation, I just open the headers and see what classes can do). If you still don't understand how something works, then come and ask here.
    The headers are very clear, method names are very intuitive, and the few that aren't usually have a couple of comments.
  8. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  9. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, I already knew how it worked. What I REALLY meant to be asking is something like "We want to create level packs, it would be easy to do in plists but plists are SOOOO easy to hack, can you use a secure method like building the levels in code, rather than in a plists?"

Rereading it, I suppose it did sound like, "what does the app do when you put in the in-app purchases?" though...

Most the time, I do mess around for 30 minutes or more before coming here for help. Then I google, see if I can find anything, and if not, than I come here and ask. I really don't like Apple's documents because they don't spell it out for you. However, from now I'm I'm definitely going to check them to see if they can't give me enough of a hint to figure it out.