How do I use my iPod touch as a Phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TechnoEagle, Jan 3, 2010.

1. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have read a number of websites that say it is possible to download applications that allow the iPod touch to act as a phone. I would like to be able to make and receive calls to/from mobile phones and landlines.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Although making calls are much more important).
    I was wondering:

1. Are any of these applications (plus any accounts you need) free?
    2. What are the best choices (free or paid)?
    3. Is it possible to just download the phone.app that comes with the iPhone? (is this legal?

)

If you know how to make an iPod touch into a phone, I would appreciate a step-by-step tutorial on the process.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. petrus6

petrus6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well you can not really turn it into a real phone, there are just some tricks to send and receive SMS, and maybe make and receive calls, but I don't remember. I have the link only to a french website which explains that (Sorry, I'm french :-° ) so I don't know if it's gonna be useful for you ^^

But anyway, remember that you can just trick your iPod, not make it act like an iPhone, so you should consider always having a "real" phone with you.

3. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Well you can't really turn your iPod into a phone. Because for a phone you don't need wifi. For an iPod touch you need to use WiFi to call people. It's called using VOIP, similar to calling on your computer. You can use Skype on your Device (if you want a paid version). Or you can use a free app called iCall, which let's you make free calls, but I believe there is a 5 minute limit. There's also a way to give your iPod Touch a number using Fring, but for me fring doesn't work. For giving your phone a number you need to use ipKall, but i believe this is not compatible with iCall.

For texting i use Text Free (pro), it works when I went to the USA. but does not work in Canada.

Hope that helps.
  4. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Chamilism, I downloaded iCall, and it asked me to place a verification call from my mobile phone to a phone number that it gave. Am I supposed to call this number from a regular cell phone (not iPod touch or iPhone) or do I somehow have to call that number from my iPod. If I have to call from my iPod, then how? I was not given a place to dial a number.
  5. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    You call with your house or mobile phone, so when you call people it shows up as your number instead of the 646 number. When you call, you don't hear anything then they hang up. That's all.
  6. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks, Chamilism! I'll set it up in a few days (when I am getting a cell phone) and post the results. I last question, though. Can I use any microphone for iPhone/iPod touch, or do I have to use Apple's $30 headphone/microphone product. Since I'm not thrilled about having to pay $30 for a microphone, I found the Gigaware Microphone for $15 (adapter to plug into existing headphones) and the Mini Microphone for $2.25

(just a mic; no plug for headphones). Both say they are compatible with iPods and iPhones. Would either of these work?
  7. Fo Sho

Fo Sho Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I am pretty sure it can be any mic with a 3.5 mm jack
  8. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    use an sip number.

that what i use.
  9. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Atomicmufin, a few questions about getting an sip number:

1. How/where do I get an sip number?

2. How much (if anything) does it cost? Activation fee? Monthly fee? Per minute fee?
  10. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Correct, I have an old mic (just mic), and it works, but the problem is I can't hear myself

Is there any free ones? I've tried VoipStant & VoipBuster, but for some reason they don't work. (using Fring)

Also for iCall, don't know if I mentioned this but.... if you call someone and you can't hear them, Tap 'hold' then tap 'hold' again. And you can verfy your number with your home phone I'm pretty sure.