How do I use irc clients

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by ubunix, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I need help with irc. I dont understand how those work.
  2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Quite simple actually..

I'm assuming you're using xchat, I use irssi, but that's entirely command line.

First of all, when you start up, you should see lists of irc.<name>.net, .com, .org, etc.

The ipodtouchfan's IRC is hosted on freenode, so find (or type in) irc.freenode.net (freenode is tech talk).

Now you fill in the blanks.. Where it says 'NickName', this is your username (just as yours is ubunix here). In xchat, it'll also say NickName2, Nickname 3, etc. (or something similar) you only need to fill this in if you think someone on the network (freenode) is already using that username/nick.

You can leave the password square blank for now and connect... It should pop up 'What channel do you want to join?' after it's done connecting.. (we are in #ipodtouchfans).. Otherwise, #freenode (or maybe #beginner) can help you get started using IRC (notice, in the box that pops up to tell you to type in the channel you wish to join, it may already have a #, in which case you only need to type the name [ipodtouchfans])

Other ways to get help, once connected to a server, in xchat I THINK you can do /help for a list of commands also. Be open, don't hide it, tell people you're new, you'll get help.

How to register your nickname..

It's as simple as this.. In xchat, if you're connected to freenode tor example, jist type /msg nickserv register <nick> <password> <e-mail> EXAMPLE: /msg nickserv register Gabe_rules Thisisarandompassword Gabe_rules@gmail.com
    After that, a verification key will be sent to your e-mail.. Example: My key is asdfghj.. So i would do /msg nickserv verify Gabe_rules asdfghj

Now you can fill in the password box with the password you chose during registration and you will be officially registered/identified!If you still don't get it, try /msg nickserv help register before asking someone else.

That's pretty good if you're a beginner, I'm assuming you're running Ubuntu Linux (avatar, name), so if you don't have xchat you can open up Terminal and do 'sudo apt-get install xchat' (no ') or go into your package manfaer and search for xchat.

Use wikipedia also if you don't understand WHAT it is.
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    +iRep
  4. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ohhhh niceee...thanks