How do I update to 2.1 from 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by sadgoat, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

How do I update to 2.0 from 2.1?

This question sounds pretty dumb, I know.

But when I go into itunes and press check for update, it just tells me that 2.0 is the current version. So how do I get it to find the new version?

edit: messed up the title order, sorry haha.
  2. jniranjan

jniranjan Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    see my sig
  3. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, but how do I put in a download key? with just the url I get an error message.
  4. jniranjan

jniranjan Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you press ctrl f on your keyboard, then depending what browser your using there should be a box that says find. in that box, type "downloadkey" without quotes. keep pressing enter till you get to 2.1 firmware
  5. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

Cool, I figured it out. I was thinking that I had to enter the download key part separately somewhere at first. One more quick question.

If I want to update without wiping my ipod, do I just have to wait until Itunes recognizes that there is a new version? Or can I select the file to update from, similar to how one can with restore.
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Update to iTunes 8. If you have Firmware 2.0 on your iPod it'll automatically download the free 2.1 firmware update and then you can use the Upgrade button to install it. If you do the illegal route, you'll have to do the shift-restore (which wipes the iPod) unless you dump it in the proper directory in iTunes. As long as you've got Firmware 2.0 on the iPod, it'll upgrade to 2.1 without a problem, save that you'll have to reinstall any JB apps later.