how do i tell if my sim card is 3g or 2g?

Discussion in '[CLOSED] Off-topic Chat' started by Dragon000, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dragon000

Dragon000 New Member

my sim card doesn't have the letters "3g" on it, but this is what my carrier told me

"If you want to make sure you have a 3G SIM card, simply look at the numbers on the chip, if it starts with "893023702000xxxxxxxx" then it is a 3G SIM card"

I checked and it matches, when i go on mobile internet, it also displays the "3G" or "H" on my phone.....so does that mean i have a 3g sim card and i am using 3g internet?

although i have unlimited mobile internet but i assumed that is EDGE and not 3G
    and whenever i use mobile internet, it is not fast
    so am i using 3G or EDGE?

my carrier says that if i have the sim card as above, then i am using 3G network, but i'm finding it hard to believe

my carrier is Fido from Canada
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If it says "3G" it means 3G. 3G is still slow, much slower than wifi. The speed varies by provider, too. I'd take Fido's word for it.
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If the phone is displaying "3G" or "H" then you have 3G. Slowness could be network congestion, throttling, bad APN, sh*tty phone. Try switch sims with someone else on the same network with 3G and see if it changes or try a different data APN. I know T-Mobile US has few different APN's and a get different speeds on them.
  4. Dragon000

Dragon000 New Member

wow cool thanks

can anyone tell me the different apn purpose? which one is faster? cause i think fido has "mms", "wap", and "internet"....I don't know what they are
  5. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mms is for picture messages
    Wap is for the internet (based on T-Mobile USA) so it's probably only Edge
    Internet I think it's the same as Wap but possibly 3G