How do I safely downgrade to 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcougar22, Jun 25, 2009.

1. pcougar22

pcougar22 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I am rather disappointed with 3.0 - my music is 95% podcasts and now I cannot replay, get a stupid 30 seconds instant rewind circle instead, plus my favorite app is not working under 3.0. I would like to install 2.2.1 back, my iPod is NOT jailbroken, I use Windows Vista 64 <sigh>. If anyone posted or has patience to re-post downgrade procedure for Windows I would greatly appreciate it! Also, would this allow me to restore my settings/apps from the backup? My latest backups are all in 3.0 - got it a day after it was release. So if anyone can share if they downgraded and how successful they were in getting back their stuff that would be great. Thank you!
  2. iPodTouchMastermind88

iPodTouchMastermind88 Banned

Go into DFU Mode, then restore to a 2.2.1 firmware file.

I can tell you how to go into DFU mode but legally I can't provide you with a 2.2.1 download link, you can Google it.

DFU Mode: (make sure your iPod is on and plugged in)

Press and hold home and power button until screen goes black
    (ignore slide to power off)

When screen goes black let go of the power button, but keep holding HOME.

Keep holding home until you hear the chime on your computer.

Your iPod will seem unresponsive, iTunes will recognize it.

Welcome to DFU Mode.

Good Luck
  3. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well if you have the original 2.2.1 firmware you can downgrade but it will delete all your stuff
    put your ipod in dfu mode to do so
    open itunes and make sure it recognizes your ipod
    hold the home button for 2 seconds then without letting go of the home button hold the sleep/power button
    until your ipod disappears from itunes
    when it disappears from itunes hold the sleep/power button for 3 more seconds then let go
    keep holding the home button for 5 more seconds then itunes will recognize your ipod as being in restore mode
    now hold shift and click restore
    find the 2.2.1 firmware and restore
    but remember this deletes everything
  4. pcougar22

pcougar22 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My home PC still has the 2.2.1 firmware and new 3.0 firmware, I can see them both in my folder. So I guess I can do it. But question - can I restore my apps/wireless settings, games, etc. from backup or because the backup was done lately in 3.0 things will not work? Just to add, both of my firmware are legit, iPod came with 2.2.1 and I bought the 3.0 (why did I waste the money on this???) from the iTunes store.