how do i remove "widget" application?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iPodTouchTodd, Oct 28, 2007.

1. iPodTouchTodd

iPodTouchTodd New Member

i downloaded the widget application from Installer and during the install it said "main script failed"...now i have an icon on my home screen of Widget and i can't uninstall it from installer because its not listed in there. how do i remove this icon and/or remove widget from my ipod touch!?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You can use an SSH or an SFTP client to get in and maually delete the Widgets app from your iPod. Once the files are deleted, either restart SpringBoard or reboot and you will be all set.
  3. iPodTouchTodd

iPodTouchTodd New Member

I don't know what those are, but I think I may have one. I have WinSCP. However, I have gone into that and searched for "Widget" and I cannot find it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. tomroper

tomroper New Member

What you need is an ftp client, I think a good 'un for windows (Im assuming your on) is Filezilla, its pretty good. You then want to use that to connect to your iPot with SFTP (Secure FTP, it should be in a drop-down menu when you connect) and then you can do as Skylar said and delete the app form there!

hope this helps dude
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

WinSCP is your SFTP client. If you go into the Commands menu at the top and click on open PuTTY, that would be your SSH client. What you want to look for is /Applications/Widgets.app (or is it Widget.app?)

Delete that folder, restart SpringBoard, and you should be all set.

Also, if you're feling ambitious, navigate on over to
    private/var/root/Library/Widgets
    and delete that folder. That way if you have any Widget files kicking around, they'll be deleted as well.
  6. tomroper

tomroper New Member

Cool, didnt know that Skylar!! Im not a windows man!
  7. Enigma

Enigma New Member

Another thing you can do if you don't have SSH and FTP access, download Finder from the installer page, and you can navigate to the same folder. You don't have access to physically delete it for some reason, however if you click "Move" and then move it to another folder that won't do anything (Maybe make a new folder in the rood dir and call it "Extra" and move the file there, it will relocate the file just fine, and has the same results. You just don't get your 373kb back

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. iPodTouchTodd

iPodTouchTodd New Member

When I click, "Open in PuTTy", it takes me to a black screen where it says it's connecting to username root and then i type in the password, which then leads me to some sort of command prompt. It starts with a # and i don't have the slightest idea what to do from there. I tried typing in /Applications/Widget.app but it comes up with "cannot execute"
  9. brandon.azzolini

brandon.azzolini New Member

ok step by step heres what you do...download cute ftp professional...one that is don hook up your ipod let it sync throught itunes, close itunes and then go to cute ftp, type in you ipods i.p adress in the pop up on cute ftp.
    newx the username and password, the usernam is _root_ and the password is _alpine_
    next go to (media_sym) then (applications) locate (widgets.app) and hit delete, after that restart your ipod then it sould be gone, hope this helps
  10. turnfourindy

turnfourindy New Member

can anyone give me step by step instructions to deleting the widget icon from my touch using a mac. i do not have an ftp cleint to my knowlege.