How do I migrate iTunes(& related content) completely over to new PC?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by ralliart12, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ralliart12

ralliart12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi fellows. May I know how to migrate/transfer my iTunes library, subscribed & downloaded podcasts, allocated ratings for individual songs, album artwork, iPod sync-ing history, playlists, over to a new computer?

Even though I believe I'm able to manually copy & paste my entire music folder(containing the physical mp3 files) over to the new PC, I believe nothing will be there when I re-install iTunes on the new PC right? Esp. the items in the following sub-folder, "iTunes":

Please Register or Log in to view images

How do I retain everything, & I do mean everything(even those *.wma files that iTunes has converted for me) from my current iTunes environment, & get it onto the new system?

Thanx in advance.
  2. drakie

drakie New Member

Well the clues in your post, if you have made any purchases, when you reinstall iTunes you will have to authrise that computer. But you can just copy them all, just copy the iTunes root directory, and then throw it all on your new comp.
  3. ralliart12

ralliart12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanx, but wat abt the music files that're one-level above my "iTunes" folder? i.e. within my "Username\My Music" folder?
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

You can put all of your things onto your ipod and then use imtoo to put it onto the new computer.
  5. drakie

drakie New Member

Well just copy them aswell, or you could just tell iTunes to copy files to the iTunes folder when it adds music to the library, that way there all in one neat place. You can do that by going to edit>prefrences

6. ralliart12

ralliart12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    U mean activate the 2 options, "Consolidate Library" & "Let iTunes organise my music"???

Actually, bottom line is: if I copy exactly where my music is stored on my old setup and on my new setup, the music, "iTunes" folder, is exactly stored in the same path, iTunes will be able to find back & map back all the songs right?
  7. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

yes.
    just consolidate library, and check the "let itunes organize... thingy"

and copy over the itunes folder.

all your ratings, playlists and stuff will be there
  8. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iTunes by we you the option to backup via CDs or DVDs but you'd have to search since I'm currently on my iPhone.
  9. drakie

drakie New Member

Yes exactly, so long as your itunes directory is the same on your new set up; eg c/my documents/my music/itunes then it shld all be fine and nothing should change.

10. b1j4nt

b1j4nt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch