how do i make my own app?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jackle147, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jackle147

jackle147 New Member

is there a guide out there to make your own app?
    or could someone please tell me how i'd go about doing this?
  2. thebusdriver

thebusdriver New Member

for starters you have to build the community toolchain. The i would focus on learning c++ and python. And how c++ relates to objectivec
  3. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

I'm guessing, if you're ASKING this question, it'll take you a minimum of 3 months to complete the simplest of the simplest working apps, for the ipod touch. Two and a half months of constant tutorial readings on program languages, and half a month on working on the simplest program possible.

Don't even bother.
  4. steeped

steeped New Member

I am SPED and all but it only took me a good weekend to learn how to make apps from C++ and Python. Sure I have programming experience but who are you to make assumptions about the thread creator?

And to the thread creator: if you want to learn how to make apps, simply use Google.
  5. Vision_Again

Vision_Again New Member

Device:
    iPad
    seriously u have no right to tell someone they cant do exactly wat i was thinking
  6. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

Relax... It wasn't even direct to you, so what are you even doing?

Obviously YOU took my post the wrong way.
    I was just informing the thread starter that if he's just beginning with programming (which I'm assuming, since he had to ask for "tutorials" on how to make apps for the ipod touch), then it'll take a good chunk of time to learn the programming language.
  7. stabbyjoe12

stabbyjoe12 Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    ahha

i bet now hes said that the creator of the post turns out to be bill gates
    that wuld be funny,
    but somehow i dont think bill gates would be using apples products
  8. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

haha, bill gates DID just quit from being a full time worker tho, so maybe he's had a bit of spare time to take a peek at Steve's products............... No..
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I think it's relatively fair to assume that if someone asks how to make apps and asks someone to tell him as though a single thread should just about cover the topic, then he probably doesn't have much in the way of programming experience or understand just how much ground that subject covers. Those with prior programming experience would by their nature have a pretty good idea of where to start and have probably asked slightly more specific questions, like "What tools do I need to start developing apps for the Touch?"

Not to disparage the OP, as it is pretty common for those with no experience in programming to not have any understanding of how deep a subject it is. If I am mistaken as to the OP's prior experience then I apologize for the assumption. However, if he has no prior experience then I would suggest starting here for pretty comprehensive tutorials on learning C++. (There are also tons of others if that doesn't suit your fancy). Getting a C++ compiler (and possible an IDE if you want some visual design tools) would also help; Microsoft's Visual C++ 2008 Express is a free download, for example, if you have a Windows machine.

If you have never programmed before then have a lot of patience and set aside as much time as you can to learning the language. It will take some time -- how long depends on your aptitude for programming and structured logic in general, but given enough time you can pick it up and eventually start developing your own apps.
  10. jackle147

jackle147 New Member

Thanks...

i'll look through some tutorials right now, and for those who were wondering i do have programming experience, but where my experience lacks is when it comes to programming things for outside the IDE (example using C++ for apps in the ipod touch).

i appreciate the help and i'll see what i can come up with
    -- Thanks.