How do i make a repository?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by homeruntilly, Dec 26, 2007.

1. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

I'm no noob, i am skilled with computers and technology. My friends and I recently started creating images for the Customize application and want to put them on our iPods. No, the manual way through SSH is not an option for me, i want my own repo that my friends and i can use.

i read this guide - http://blog.psmxy.org/making-a-repository/ - but it was only a little help. No info on compling the PLIST (hash? bundle identifier?) or what exactly you put inside the zip file (what files in what folders), or even how to get your repo all set up...

if anyone can help me with that, please do before i loose interest in this project and move on to something else!
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Installer repositories are nothing more than simple Apple Property Lists, which in turn are nothing more than simple, standard XML. The hash tag is the md5 checksum of the files. This is one of the few tags that are mandatory (well not yet, but in the next Installer update it is supposed to become mandatory, so you'd best just list it now, else risk your repository becoming obsolete).

The bundle identifier can be whatever you want it to be. com.whatever.adNnauseum. The most common scheme is com (or net) dot website/creator/developer dot name of app. ie com.apple.mobilesafar . It is important to never change the bundle identifier once you've set it. This is the only way that Installer, and even your iPod can track the package once it's installed onto the iPod.

The packaging scheme is whatever works best for you. Given that the package installs recursively, it's a good idea to create a folder scheme inside the package that is identical to the pertinant folder scheme of the iPod. Also, packages must be made in a *nix machine. installer has difficulty reading packages compressed with Windows. It does work, but you need to call each file individually, and that is not good, as that adds excess lines to the repository and slows down the refresh times on Installer. While a few lines here and there most likely won't hurt, remember that those few lines add up. Also, you don't know if the user just installed Joe Moron's 5,000 line, two app repo. Ouch.

To view my repo, the TouchRepo, the largest, widest used repo outside of the Installer Standards, just follow the folloing link, right click and view the source. I have a little bit of everything in it so you can see.
    http://www.touchrepo.com/repo.xml
  3. jack57

jack57 New Member

4. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

thanks guys, that's helpful. So you have to Manually create the plists, right? Ugggh. It seems kind of easy but I don't know
  5. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

EDIT: everything kind of works.... read next post.
  6. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

Somehow i am not archiving the files right... Im doing it in ubuntu linux, but when i try to download anything the same thing happens.

http://homeruntilly.zidev.com/repo/zips/SliderPack.zip

someone download that and archive it in linux the same way it is set up now and give me the hash so i can see if i am doing something wrong...