How do I know if I have an "old" or a "new" 16GB iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by squiggle1978, Mar 2, 2008.

1. squiggle1978

squiggle1978 New Member

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, which i apologise if its in the wrong forum section.
    I have recently bought a secondhand a 16GB iPod touch, that Ive just updated to 1.1.4 and paid for the January update. I have no idea how old this iPod is.
    Reading the many threads on here, it sounds like jailbreaking this iPod/firmware combination ising ZiPhone is a bit hit and miss depending on wether you have an "old" or "new" 16GB touch.

Thing is how do I know? Is there any info in the About screen or something I can look at?

I'm TOTALLY new to the iPod touch, jailbreaking (soft or hard?!?!) etc etc.
    But thanks to everyone on these forums, as they are really useful for newbies like myself (once you click on to the language used - at first "jailbreaking" is a totally alien concept!)
  2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Look at the serial number i think, There are two numbers in it which is the week. Its like the 4th and 5th number. Sorry, cant be of more help at the mo
  3. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    what about if its pre-macworld or not? ive got a 16gb ipot that came with 1.1.2 and was bought on thanksgiving day....
    anyone?
  4. JapesSaysDan

JapesSaysDan New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think iTouches that came with the new App's and Widgets (Mail, Maps, Weather, Stocks, Notes) pre-installed are 'new'
  5. squiggle1978

squiggle1978 New Member

Reading around the posts on here, I didnt think it had anything to do with the installed apps. I got the extra apps when I bought the January update.

Ive read about the pre and post macworld iPods - that what I think I kinda need to find out I think - which mine is.

Thanks for the tip about the serial number though!

Reading on here, and in other places, the difference between old and new 16GB touchs is the number of EEPROM memory chips inside.
  6. shuffle

shuffle Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how can I tell by the serial number tho?

is it a certain week that works or is it like for example week 46+?
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Mac world took place on Jan 14th or so of 2008
  8. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm not sure, but I think if your 16GB came with the application pack, you have a post-MacWorld one, which has one SSD and can be jailbroken with ZiPhone.

It really depends though, I don't know the SNs of successful 16GB ones, so I can't determine the week.
    Apple may have started using one drive at MacWorld or when they introduced the 32GB model..
  9. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

If you had to pay for the January Upgrade to enable the features, then you have an "old" 16GB iPod that can't yet be jailbroken from 1.1.3/1.1.4. The iPod Touches released after Macworld are fixed so that you never have to pay for the January Upgrade, even after a restore.
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The week is located on your serial number like this:

XXXOOXXXXXX

OO is the Week at which it was made.