how do i jailbreak and install theme on my ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by kawaiionigiri, Jul 2, 2010.

1. kawaiionigiri

kawaiionigiri New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have the ipod touch @generation, 8BG, firmware is 4.0 and ive never jailbroken my ipod before.
    How do i jailbreak with a safe and easy prgram? And if i make a mistake can i just restart the ipod?

also:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51017
    i found this really cute theme but have no idea on how to instal it. can anybody help me how to?
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    run redsn0w to jailbreak, then use winterboard for themes
  3. GreyziPod

GreyziPod Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wait are you sure you have a second generation iPod Touch 8GB? Because there are two versions of those. And the only way to tell by either one is by going to Settings -> General -> About -> and look at Model. If it has the letters "MC" in front of the rest of the letters or numbers then you can`t hack it on 4.0 with anything. The only way you could hack it is if you are able to downgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak it with a program called Spirit, which was made by a guy nicknamed comex.
    But if it is really a 2nd gen 8GB iPod Touch without the letters "MC", then you can jailbreak it with the program that jmwerkus said, called redsn0w. After jailbreaking the way to get those themes onto your iPod is by going into the program on your iPod called Cydia (which should be automatically installed onto your iPod after jailbreak) and download Winterboard from it. You can find out how to do this and how to install themes with several different tutorials on youtube.com or even on this website.
  4. kawaiionigiri

kawaiionigiri New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have the 2nd generation and its a MC model, what if i downgraded my ipod touch to 3.1.3 again, will the redsnow work?
  5. GreyziPod

GreyziPod Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The redsn0w jailbreak won`t work if its an MC model. Instead, downgrade to 3.1.3, then you use a jailbreak called Spirit by comex. This is the jailbreak, in the link.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287772&highlight=spirit

BUT its the downgrading part that would tricky. I have never done it from 4.0. But I don`t think it`s impossible. PM me if you need help with downgrading
  6. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you were jailbroken on 3.1.3, did you click the "make my life easier" button in Cydia? If so, you are good to go. But if you didn't, you can't downgrade because your SHSH aren't backed up.
  7. GreyziPod

GreyziPod Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ooooooooouuch...i forgot about that...thank god i did

Please Register or Log in to view images

most likely they haven`t done that though...
  8. billyjoel

billyjoel New Member

You DON'T need any of that for the "Late 2G 8GB mc model" it doesn't have SHSH checks

All you have to do is download fw iPod 2G 3.1.3 firmware
    Make sure you have iTunes 9.1 (not 9.2)
    Open iTunes and Put your iPod in DFU mode and press shift+click on restore, and browse to the 3.1.3 fw you downloaded

and jailbreak with spirit (while you wait for the 4.0 jailbreak to be released)
  9. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Billy, doesnt my model have SHSH checks? Really, I might try downgrade then