How do I get OS 3.0 onto my iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by Creative-EdgeImages, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Creative-EdgeImages

Creative-EdgeImages New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When I try to upgrade to 3.0 my itouch goes into recovery mode and I have to restore it. I figured out that the USB connection on my computer is not a current version. I can use my other laptop, it has the correct USB connection, but if I sync on the newer computer I lose all my info and have to start all over again. Is there a way to get the 3.0 onto my itouch using the other computer without losing everything on my itouch?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

How are you upgrading? Assumung you purchase the upgrade, and let iTunes handle it, there should be no problem. You might want to try upgrading to the newest version of iTunes, and downloading any upgrades that might be present for your OS. Althoug, this question might be better asked on the Apple support fora.

If you are trying to steal 3.0, then don't bother asking the question. We do not support or condone piracy in any any form on these fora.
  3. Creative-EdgeImages

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Insinuating I am a thief is a bit much, I purchased the upgrade from iTunes for 9.95, I don't recall anywhere saying I stole the upgrade, my post was asking for help. I called Apple and did not get any help from them, and did a search here and did not find what I was looking for, I came here assuming this was a support and information site for iPod touch users. I really don't see where you got anywhere from my post that I obtained the upgrade illegally

Please Register or Log in to view images

I am trying to upgrade through itunes and I get an error message that the unit is in a recovery mode and needs to be restored. I have had no problems with the other apps and installing them,(all purchased from itunes) just the upgrade. Any ideas?

I don't like being called a thief, I have worked in public service for years as an EMT and a Deputy Sheriff, and have always worked to help others in need, I don't steal, and have helped many thieves find a new temporary home.
  4. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If your iPod is in recovery mode, just restore it, all your information (unless jailbroken) is store in iTunes, and then just click upgrade to upgrade to the latest version.

As a side note, just to explain where SkylarEC is coming from, you do not normally need to ask how to load it, unless you have downloaded the .ipsw from an alternate source and are trying to get it for free.

Normally, iTunes sorts out the upgrading behinds the scenes in a completely automated manner, requiring no user input. It's just that we have had many people trying to get the update for free and asking how to load it. No one is calling you a thief, it's just that your post bears a slight resemblance towards what pirates have posted in the past. Hope that clears up any inconvenience.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I am sorry if I came off as implying that you stole the update.

The reason I included that part of my response was for two purposes. First off, it was unclear where you were coming from. Being a newer member, the statement was intended to come off as a strong warning. We get a lot of people on this site who join solely to ask something about piracy, then never come back (usually they are banned and can't come back). The second reason was to put out the warning to anyone who may read this thread and actually wants to install a stolen firmware.

That said, if your restore issue isn't resolved by now (and I hope it is), then you can try upgrading/restoring at another computer. Usually, after installing the new firmware, iTunes will ask you if want to "Restore from a back up" or "Set up your [device] as a new [device]." At that point, you should be able to disconnect from the restoring computer and reconnect to your other computer, making sure to restore from your backup once connected to that computer.

And once again, my apologies.
  6. Creative-EdgeImages

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No worries, I actually did just that, used my other laptop to install the 3.0 upgrade and just synced with my primaty computer. I just had one minor hiccup and that was some of the apps had to be updated again. Now my other dilema, I just got an unexpcted surprise in the form of a rebate check that i had forgotten about. $400, I am now tempted to go down and exchange my 16 GB for a 32GB, I still have about 10 days to do so, the extra room is always good. I know I should wait for the next ipod touch to come out, but I would have found something else to spend the money on by then if I waited.