iOS 4.0 How Do I Downgrade from iOS4 to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 on iPod Touch 2G MC

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by TheDonKills, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TheDonKills

TheDonKills Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi, I am new in this forum and I have joined solely for the purpose of increasing my knowledge of my iPod.

Although, I have this one problem with my iPod Touch 2G MC.
    I have accidentally upgraded it to iOS4 from 3.1.3 and it is not jailbreakable currently, and there is no time frame for a jailbreak to come for it. Limera1nès release date is not confirmed. I have tried to downgrade my iPod Touch 2G MC but I haven’t been successful.

I have followed this guide to downgrade my iPod (Please read it so you can understand my situation):
    http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g[s]-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

It did not work as I tried to downgrade each time and I did not get the desired error messages included in the guide. I got error message 3194 instead of 1015 when trying to downgrade to 3.1.3. I got an error message 28 when trying to downgrade to 3.1.2. The firmwares I downloaded are correct as 3.1.3 filename is iPod2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ispw and the 3.1.2 filename is iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore. I tried to RecBoot to get rid of the Connect to iTunes screen after and the iOS4 was still present. I’ve included a link to a screenshot of my hosts file because I think I may have incorrectly added some IP address to avoid iTunes firmware check, I’ve seen from another guide.

Screenshot Link:
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?018ad5d845.jpg
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can downgrade MC like that. Only way is if you had SHSH saved for 3.1.3
  3. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, J-Phone is correct. And sorry for asking my own question on your thread, but this might help you too: I think it was Umbrella that I used to save my SHSH blobs, and I got a .shsh file on my desktop. But I don't know if they got saved onto a server or not. I still have that file saved. Do you know anything about this J-Phone?

Also, I think that there is a way to "spoof" or trick iTunes into letting you restore to any firmware you want. This is done by changing some of the command text in the Host file of the computer. I'll do some research on it as I have the exact same problem as you and can't restore. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I was just browsing about our little problem on the web and found this: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277386
    It does not tell you how to downgrade to 3.1.3, but it does tell you how to downgrade to 3.1.2. However, it may work for firmware 3.1.3 as well, I don't know. I may try this later if I can't find anything else that has to do with downgrading back to firmware 3.1.3. But if you do follow this guide, just jailbreak with Spirit when done (not Blackra1n).
  4. TheDonKills

TheDonKills Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I didn't save my SHSH file. So, does that mean that I won't be able to downgrade? Thanks Naveen for whatever you put in the end, I'm gonna try that out, because nothing else is working for me.

Edit: Is the SHSH file the ispw file? Naveen121, I tried that other link and guide and it didn't work either. Thanks anyways.
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep, no downgrade for you, sorry.
  6. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's alright, man. Don't lose hope. Just keep searching through the web. Who knows? Just search for maybe a couple of days and someone else other than me and J-Phone might post on this thread with some info. Just check it every once in a while. After that just stay at iOS4 and use it ordinarily. Sync all of your music, apps, and stuff from iTunes back into your iPod and just use it non-jailbroken. Hopefully, a new jailbreak that can jailbreak iOS4 for MC models will be released by the end of the summer.
  7. TheDonKills

TheDonKills Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Aw, **** I was hoping someone other than two people would know about what I could do, but anyways, thanks guys and LOL @ wait until the end of the summer. I was thinking a couple of weeks or so, but wow.
  8. Naveen121

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That was just an estimate. You never know. There are never any timeframes for jailbreak releases (which sucks). It could be released next January (very unlikely) or in the next five minutes (also very unlikely). But this website is always up to date. Just keep checking the front page from time to time. The release will definitely be on the front page.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Indestructible

Indestructible Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was not going to reply, however I decided that you should be informed of the following.

>In order to install a firmware, apple must sign off on the version before it is placed on your device. This signature is held in the SHSH file. Once a new version is released apple stops signing the old firmware. This means, unless you had made a backup of your SHSH file, you won't be able to pass the signing process (backup of signature allows iTunes to think Apple just signed the firmware, and thus allows it to be installed). (UPDATE: Stupid me, I forgot that the iPhone 1G and 2G and iPod 1G cannot be updated to version 4.0. This means that Apple cannot stop signing the 3.1.3 firmware. In other words, you can DOWNGRADE, and jb with Spirit. Follow the instruction in the link that wiifixp provided.)

>Unfortunately, all SHSH files are unique and are based signed to a corresponding ECID (which is different in all devices). This means that you will not be able to use a different SHSH to downgrade your iPod (seeing how the ECID on the SHSH won't match your device).

>Now enough with the bad news. Good news is that ALL 3g 8gig ipt are tethered-pawned4life. This means that the dev team can make jb for the device, and apple can't do anything to fix the loophole.

>I must however say that tether is not the most desirable, but it is still something.

>I suggest you back up the 4.0 SHSH now before new updates come (one is coming this week 4.0.1). After all, if apple patches a loophole that was just found, the dev team will be quick to release a jb for the old software. If you had updated before the release, your only hope will be to use backup SHSH.

Good luck.

PS. Anyone with more information, feel free to correct/add on to the aforementioned.
  10. wiifixp

wiifixp New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch