iOS 4.0 How do I backup my contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ReaperX, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Hey guys, I'm gonna be reformatting my iPod since I want a nice fresh install. I have 3.0 atm but will be going to 4.1

Can anyone tell me how to do this? The iTunes that it was synced to is on my hard drive which I gave to my friend so I'll be using this computer, I hope someone can help me out
  2. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ssh to user/library/addressbook and copy that folder to your computer
  3. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Mind explaining further? Im pretty sure I gotta change stuff for it to work?
  4. Hardkaare

Hardkaare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Just create a backup of the iPod, and restore from the backup after updating.

Inside the backup your game saves, photos, contacts, pretty much everything.
  5. ReaperX

ReaperX Member

Yeah but I'm on 3.0 and Ill be updating to 4.1, itll be all new files, if I back it up wouldn't that not work since I'll be using 4.1 and trying to backup a 3.0 firmware or?

I just wanna back up my contacts, the rest of the stuff I wanna completely delete
  6. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You got it wrong. You CAN restore from a backup of an older FW(you're on 4.1, and you're restoring from a backup of 3.x), however you CANNOT restore from a backup of a newer FW(you're on 3.x and want to restore from a 4.x backup, this works for 4.0.x or 4.1.x, I mean you can restore from a backup of 4.0.2 on 4.0, but not from 4.1 on 4.0 or lower)
    Also, I'm pretty sure that when you upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0, iTunes back it up and restores automatically from your backup(you won't be asked to restore from a backup/set up as new iphone). Just when you Upgrade, not Restore.