How do I back up my iTunes library to my computer?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Nintendork, May 7, 2010.

1. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I want to back up my iTunes Library, currently containing 377 songs, to my computer. I was going to back it up to a CD at first, but I only have Verbatim CDs that hold 80 minutes and 700 MB; my library has 24 hours and 1.55 GB. So my only other alternative is to save it to the hard drive. So what I did was Library > Export Library > Save As while in my main library (not my iTouch's), and saved the file as "Library" in my iTunes folder. The file was saved as a 2.09 MB .xml file that's, and when I opened it, it opened in Internet Explorer (why?).

How do I import that Library.xml file - containing my entire iTunes library - into iTunes for an occasion such as everything was erased from the library or something?
  2. Psyko

Psyko Member

Purely guessing: library.xml contains a list that points iTunes to the actual MP3 files on your harddrive.

The easiest way would probably be to copy all your MP3's, compress them to fit on the disk (just burning a rar if you can make it fit on a disk) or burn several discs.

Alternatively, do what I did.
    I got a 250GB external harddrive to keep all my "important" files backed up in case my internal harddrive ever would fail me, a virus would strike or such.
  3. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, well I have a folder containing all 377 songs in my folder on the desktop. How would I import all those songs into iTunes if my library was ever erased?
  4. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you have ID3 tags set up correctly, just open them. If you have a decent machine they should be done in a minute or so.
  5. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My ID3 tags are fine. How do I import all 377 into my iTunes library simultaneously?
  6. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    select them all and open them
  7. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can't. I went to "Add File To Library" in iTunes, and then I clicked and dragged my mouse to select all of the folders containing the artists, albums, and songs. But then when I clicked open, it only opened the last folder that was highlighted.
  8. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Erm, maybe choose the top-level folder containing all of the music and not the individual artist folders?

I'm lost.
  9. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright, well right now I went to "Add Folder to Library", and I selected my back-up MP3 folder that contains all songs I've ever downloaded (about 400). It seems like it will take a while to import this folder and all its data, so I'll leave it on over night and report with the results tomorrow.

Edit: It worked. Only thing though was when it was done copying that folder, I had tons of duplicates, but I deleted them all and it's all good now.