How Do I add users?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by specialbuddy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. specialbuddy

specialbuddy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Is there a way to add a user. I have unix experience and usually you just have to type adduser username in the console and users can be added. I'm not finding the command. Also, do I always have to run the Ipod as root. Is there anyway I can run it as a user instead? I just know that it's not recommended to run your computer OS under root so I'm wondering if the same thing applies to this. It is especially dangerous allowing root ssh access because it's easier to crack since user name doesn't have to be guessed.
  2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    That would be very interesting to explore. My guess is that for the moment the iPod/iPhone software was not configured with that in mind, that's one big issue Apple will have to tackle before releasing their SDK in 2008 because you obviously can't have 3rd-party applications running as root on a mobile phone platform.

Is there an equivalent of the Unix/Linux "adduser" command under MacOS? Not sure but I don't believe so, if that was the case however, one would have to port that command to the iPod if that's not already done by, say, Erica Sadun

Please Register or Log in to view images

Otherwise, you would have to deal directly with the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, and introduce new passwords via the passwd command. The "su", "chmod", "chgrp" commands are available as part of the BSD Subsystem package.

Then there is the problem of loggin in under a username, you would need a GUI-based application to handle that. It would have to be integrated into Springboard.

So theoretically it is feasible, especially since the toolchain is available under Linux, MacOS and even Windows. In fact, it sounds like a very interesting challenge!