how come

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hyperstalker, Mar 8, 2009.

1. hyperstalker

hyperstalker Member

Device:
    HTC One
    how come it is not possible for apple to track your ipods connections when it is stolen? doesn't the ipod connect with itunes when you plug it in?
  2. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

Well, that would mean that every time any iPod was plugged into a computer, iTunes connected to the internet, using up possibly valuable bandwidth every time, Apple logged the IP, and they then went through the process of finding the exact address of that computer.

Privacy invasion much? Would you honestly actually want that?
  3. hyperstalker

hyperstalker Member

Device:
    HTC One
    umm yes. who cares if thats privacy invasion. thats like saying that its privacy invasion to enter a know terrorist house to catch him. the person that connected last is a thief they deserve no privacy. they have to log the ip addresses i mean my website and wow server did every time a account was used.
  4. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It would be too much work for apple, it's as simple as that
  5. hooger

hooger Banned

Tracking an IP when logging into a game, or visiting a website is WAY different then plugging your iPod into your computer.
  6. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

I for one wouldn't be most pleased if syncing my iPod told Apple my exact location every time.

You're comparing entirely irrelevant things.
  7. hyperstalker

hyperstalker Member

Device:
    HTC One
    then why are you on here why are you even on the internet. your ip is logged at every website you go to. ohh my god!!! they know where your at!!! idc if it was irrelevant. im not saying when you connect it, it sends them your ip, im saying when you open itunes and try to log in that it would.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yes i agree with you completely apple is lazy and doesn't care if your ipod is lost or stolen its 1 more sale for them.
  8. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

No, no.
    For them to actually find out where whoever's using your iPod is, would require a lot more work.
    Of course my IP's logged when I come on here. I have no problem with that.
    I have a problem with the idea that syncing my iPod (someone who steals your iPod is hardly gonna log in to the Store if it did this, anyway, so that just fails) would give Apple my IP unnecessarily. If, like you insist they should do, they then went to the length of working out the actual location of that user every time, I would be even more unhappy with them.

Firstly, Apple shouldn't care. They didn't lose it, Apple doesn't owe you anything. They're not lazy because they don't want to go through a lengthy process for your stupid mistake.
  9. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Pretty much what he said
  10. mikeman118

mikeman118 New Member

Not every website logs your IP address. And besides, your IP address can't pinpoint your exact location (like where your house is). Maybe if the IP address was given to the internet provider they could figure it out, but the average person can't just Google someone's IP address and find their house on a map.