How can I test my iPod for defects?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dd_ny, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't have an iPod touch 4th generation yet, but it will becoming within the next week or two. I only have one screen protector, and I'd hate to put my last one on my new iPod only to find that it has some sort of issue and that the screen protector is now useless.

(BTW, anybody have a $5 eBay gift card they'd be willing to trade for my $5 Amazon so I can get some cheaper screen protectors?)

So how can I make sure my iPod is free of defects before putting on the screen protector? My original plan was to slap on my TPU case as soon as I take the iPod out and then put on my screen protector, but like I said, it will get ruined if I have to take it off and reapply it.
  2. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Before you Apply anything, put the brightness to 100% and tilt the iPod to several angles, to see if you have big (visible) lightleaks. If yes, fix it, or just return the ipod. Then download Epic Citadel and walk around for around 5-10 Minutes. If your iPod gets warm, its normal. It should NOT crash or get burning hot! Also test the WiFi Speed of your iPod. (e.g. with Speedtest.net App) - Try all the buttons if they are responsive and have no delay. Record a HD Video and play it on the external speaker while wifi is on. (If it does clicking sounds, return it)
    Thats all the stuff I did, I just had one lightleak close to the volume buttons, but I fixed it.

If all are Okay, but on the Screenprotector then the TPU case

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks! This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for: step by step tips. This was extremely helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time to share that with me. You may have just saved me a lot of grief.

If anyone else has any tips similar to these, please share!
  4. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Couldn't have said it better my self lux.

Also, look out for these reported issues.

- Unresponsive home button
    - Ticking sound when using the rear mic while Wi-Fi is enabled
    - Overheating (causes laggyness, slowness, freezes, device becomes EXTREMELY hot)
    - Freezing
    - Device becoming sluggish after long periods of use
    - Possible change of DFU
    - Light Leakage
    - Metal 3.5mm housing causes issues with male/male connectors (http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310879)
    - Pictures won't auto rotate when using the accelerometer
    - Inaccurate battery reading while charging
    - Battery running out in 5-6 hours when not doing anything
    - When moving the springboard in the middle (between pages), the icons of the previous page overlaps the icons of the next page

*NOTE* These are reported issues. NO iPod HAS ALL THESE ISSUES.

The only NORMAL issues are the ones in BOLD.
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Just reminded another thing:
    - Look if Auto-Rotate on Pictures and stuff works. (Obviously turn Rotationlock off

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  6. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks man, you always have some pretty helpful posts. But what did you mean by,
    "- Metal 3.5mm housing causes issues with male/male connectors"?

And when you say these are "normal" issues, do you mean they are most likely software issues that may be fixed with a firmware update, and thus, do not require a replacement?
  7. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Bugs that probably won't be fixed by a replacement, as they are really comon. Even though my iPod doesn't seem to have the ticking sound (?)
  8. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, according to a thread on these forums (can't remember the thread, it was around the time the iPod Touch 4G came out)... someone was having issues with a male/male connector. It's the wire that has one 3.5mm jack on each end. It causes interference, due to the metal housing of the jack hole, when your trying to play music from your iPod Touch 4G to your stereo on a car audio system. You'll hear white noise.

And when I say these are "normal" issues, I mean that almost everyone has these issues and that it will most likely be fixed on a software update. The ticking for example, is a software issue, since it only occurs when WiFi is on. I'm expecting a fix.

The normal issues won't need for you to replace.
  9. kratos215

kratos215 Member

Thanks for the thread guys, I'll be sure to use this when I get mine in on Monday from Amazon. I don't have an apple store near me, so I'm really, really hoping and praying right now that my ipod doesn't have any sort of defect. My guess is that people who have problems are more apt to post on forums, so I'm hoping that everything that's been being posted on here is overblown. I had a friend buy his from Best Buy last week and he hasn't had any sort of issue with his (not even the ticking...), so who knows.
  10. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't worry if you do end up with a defect. I've shopped a lot with Amazon in the past and they are GREAT about returns. I had to replace my 3g once and instead of requesting that I send my 3g in first, they sent me the new 3g, I got it, unpacked it, and transferred my data, then I sent them my old 3g (all of this was paid by Amazon, btw).

Of course, this only applies if you bought directly from Amazon. If you bought from a third party seller you'll have to ask about their return policy.

My only gripe with Amazon ATM is how long they are taking to ship mine out! I probably won't get mine till the end of the week after next.