How can I make a Water Effect in iPhone SDK?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by cocotutch, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have looked around for this, and I found some extremely outdated (judging by the class names) code for it, it wont launch on any of my devices, as I think it's for 1.0 or something.

How can I make a Water Ripple Effect similar to KoiPond or GoldfishClock? I really would like to do this in my next app as many other developers have. Does anyone know how to do this? Can anyone help me do this?

Thanks,

coco
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I already told you. All those transitions (rippleEffect, zoomyOut, tubey, etc) have been moved from LayerKit/CoreAnimiation (1.x/2.x) to UIKit (3.x). Just use them.

I mean, I legitimately don't understand your confusion. Is it refusal to look at the API/docs/whatever? Or can you just genuinely not figure out transitions?
  3. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Not that. Not a transition. Tapping and have it ripple around your finger, literally simulate Water, I have seen it done. I know its OpenGL, but I just got an intermediate understanding of Objective-C, and I wanna try out the new power of my 3GS.....please?

EDIT: I figured out the transitions about a week ago now, but thanks anyway, its not deliberate, i don't tell the docs to stuff it or kick the bucket, I always go here as my last resort or if I am very very very confused and don't know where to look.
  4. SkylarEC

I assure you it's a transition. Possibly that's why you can't find it. You might just be overcomplicating things : )

I can't verify right now since I'm not at a computer, but I am pretty sure that at least two of the videos in this directory contain rippleEffect.
    http://www.skylarcantu.com/videos/CAAnimations/

The videos are just a combination of Quartz/UIKit.

As far as it being Open GL ES. well, you're right. You're right in so much as all transitions on the phone, although they may have a Quartz/UIKit wrapper are done in Open GL ES.

The wrapper you're looking for is in UIKit.

EDIT: Also, any one of the PT4... videos here should also show you the rippleEffect http://www.skylarcantu.com/videos/
  5. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  6. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    '

Please Register or Log in to view images

I just took the microsoft surface parody out of my signature. microsoft and all of its little spawns do not deserve capitalization.
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How mature.
  8. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Anyone know? Download KoiPond to see what I mean if necessary. I really want to know this, and I am sure other developers out there would think it wonderful to implement.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yer i saw the youtube vid i would be an awesome feature to app in your app i think it should be a must have tutorial !!!!
  10. SkylarEC

So, if the "standard ripple" is not what you're after, then it seems that you are asking the forum to recreate an Open GL effect that you saw in another app.

You know that is frowned upon here, and on most fora.