How and What: iTouch Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by dereklarue, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dereklarue

dereklarue New Member

Im new at this ipod touch development, i need help. So What do i need?

Please Register or Log in to view images

I want to make Apps for the itouch. I basically dont know anything about this. But i want to learn. Please help!

1.) What programs do i need, and can i get a link to download them?

2.) Whats Objective-C ? I know a bit of C++...are they the same? Were to learn?

3.) Anything else to know?

Thanks for your help -

derek

2. zisko

zisko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    same here man. I searched everwhere! Cmon!
  3. PhoisGOOD

PhoisGOOD New Member

ya yea cant find the thing at all
  4. zacaj

zacaj New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. You'll need the toolchain. For windows, google winChain, and install it.
    2. OBJ-c is a mix of C++ and another language, its close enough that if you know C++ you can understand it
    3. Lots
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Objective-C is NOT "a mix of C++ and another language." Objective-C is a superset of C, just like C++ is. They are both parallel supersets, and they both have strengths and weaknesses. Objective-C is much more Object Oriented then C++, yet its classes can't inherit from multiple other classes. Tradeoffs, I suppose.

The part about knowing one and understanding the other is true. The same basic structure is the same, as they are both based on the C language. It's just a matter of learning the appropriate syntax for each language.

If you do want to incorporate C++ with Objective-C, then you can learn to program using Objective-C++, which is also known to work on the iPod Touch (as does C++ (Sand.app)), but the general belief of the dev community is that it is better to program in the language the iPhone/iPod is designed best to interpret.

Good luck, and happy devving.
  6. HoboJoe4Eva

HoboJoe4Eva New Member

Is C++ very different from Visual basic?

I've only have experience with VB.net
  7. zacaj

zacaj New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mainly the commands
  8. screwy

screwy New Member

what about jiggy? can we use jiggy to create our own apps?
    or is it better to learn Objective-C,Objective-C?

Cheers

9. damhack

damhack New Member

Developing for iPhone/iTouch

Just to try and answer all your questions in one fell swoop:

1. iPhone/iPod Touch development requires a jailbreak'd device.

2. The best platform to develop on is Mac OS X, followed by Linux, then Windows (in that order). Mainly because the iTouch is a Unix computer and lots of the difficulties most people experience in setting up development tools is to do with the differences between Unix and Windows.

Most of the Mac tools are available for Linux, and some are available for Windows (or Windows using the Cygwin system).

3. You need to select your preferred development language.

There are many languages, but most do not have access to the iTouch's facilities e.g. screen, onscreen keyboard, audio, etc. But you can use Perl, Ruby, PHP and others to do stuff on your iTouch.

Jiggy is a great way to get started, because it uses Javascript ,which is similar-ish to VB, has access to the underlying iTouch MacOS and is easy to learn. Just go to http://www.jiggyapp.com to find out more...

Apple's own iTouch applications are written in Objective-C using the Cocoa framework. This is the iTouch's 'real' programming language. Objective-C is an Object Orientated language, so will be very unfamiliar to people who VB script. It is a very different approach to programming. A good place to start is http://cocoadevcentral.com/ for tutorials about Objective-C and the Cocoa framework.

To develop using Objective-C, you will need to install the iPhone toolchain. This is not that easy, depending on which operating system you are using. My instructions for building the toolchain on Mac OS X Leopard are here: http://jiggyapp-devel.googlegroups.com/web/iphone_leopard_toolchain_howto.rtf

If you are using Windows: http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Windows_Cygwin_Binary_Toolchain_Installation

If you use Mac OS X Tiger or a popular Linux: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/wiki/Building

4. Apple is releasing an official Software Development Kit in February. This is likely to be Mac-only, but should make development a whole lot easier.
  10. PhoisGOOD

PhoisGOOD New Member

wow thanksz ^^;;