How a Single Hit App Can Make You Rich(ish)

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Aug 22, 2010.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    haha i got this app when there was a promotion to get it for free!
  3. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I wouldn't go into making apps. For people who do, it could be rewarding, but due to the inherent nature of the App store, its not guaranteed.

Where one app succeeds, a thousand others fail.

Also due to the structure of the App store, and also documented in the article, only Apps which have hype, accessibility and a untapped market will survive.

It's like drugs, it can get you rich, but only if you have contacts...and if your not caught duh.
  4. TREYisRAD

TREYisRAD Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Most of the apps that fail, fail because they aren't good enough.

If you want to to be a successful dev, you have to make amazing apps, and if you're serious about becoming successful, you'll strive for nothing less. Getting lucky like Uzu's dev helps a ton, but the reason it got picked up by Apple was because it was so awesome. Hard work (and/or a good idea) pays off.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Yh of course thats true, but what I'm saying is, the article kind of come off as a "Get rich quick/make one app and you will get $18,000 quickly"

It just came across like a quick scheme to become rich when if fact you have to be dedicated and truly make apps not in sight of money but as something you want to do.

It's kinda like when people say getting great grades in school imply your success in the future when in fact its down to you weather that happens.

Basically, Apps can become hits, but weather they do or not, it shouldn't be done as a way to get quick money.

Good article tho
  6. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    As unreal boy mentioned, but no one else seemed to on Ars... he also gave the app away for free round the 3rd July.... I wonder if they took that into account for the average weekly downloads as they appear to kinda "cut" that info out and just relate to the free press he got....???

Proof of when app was free - http://ipad.freeappalert.com/2010-07-03

This isn't to put him down... I personally also got it for free that day, but I would have paid for it, it is a cute app to use as a demo to show off the iPad to friends. I just wonder how "real" those figures are as well....
  7. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    can I just explicitly tell anyone who is considering this to NOT buy Objective-C for Dummies. It's the worst book I've ever purchased, tonnes of mistakes which is not good for a programming language, and for complete beginners (the target audience) the writing is terrible.
  8. OCP

OCP Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    what would be a good starter book?