Hotel Reservation Software

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by geminixo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. geminixo

geminixo New Member

Is anyone writing some software to build a hotel reservation database? If the touch can be configured into web server...even run rails apps, I'm sure it has database capabilities.

Imagine being able to run a simple hotel or inn, managing guest applications and reservations, all at the palm of your hand....I would definitely even PAY for something like that....

...Anyone interested in starting it?
  2. geminixo

geminixo New Member

No one has been working on this?
  3. speedii69

speedii69 New Member

Wouldnt Apache webserver with some SQL-server do the work? Then you "only" need to make the Graphical part and some database.
  4. NormNConquest

NormNConquest New Member

Sounds like a fun exercise, but not useful

Having worked for years for a top 5 hotel chain, this strikes me as an awful idea.

Cops, engineers or inspectors in the field might want to manage their work on a handlheld portable device.

If you're running a hotel, you by definition have a permanent location, a front desk, room for a desktop computer or terminal with redundancy, backup, restricted physical access to the device. You're tethered to travel networks like Expedia and Orbitz, credit card capture and authorization, your room rates database with all its corporate discounts and special offers, the device that authorizes room card keys, charge systems for telephone, pay per view, restaurant, shops, other amenities and incidentals.

There's an abundance of existing hospitality management apps (both proprietary and open-source), links to relational databases and corporate travel networks. Based on decades of business software (probably ported through generations of COBOL, BASIC, C and whatever.

I know as a guest I wouldn't want my data passing through a device as inherently unsecure as an iPod, much less my home address and other identity info.

Do you really want these functions and your customers' privacy concentrated in a tiny, lightweight, easy-to-lose (or crush or steal) device? Handing that device to guests to enter their credit info or debit PIN number--withOUT the ability to read a credit card mag strip, smart card chip or RFID? Or capture their handwritten signature?

Sorry to pee on a fun idea. Unless I'm missing some advantage to making this task mobile?
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I concur.
  6. keyur42785

keyur42785 New Member

that would be great. let me know if any1 has the software for the ipod. thank you
  7. geminixo

geminixo New Member

hmm, You are definitely right about the security problems if this program would be for a large Hotel...but I run a small Inn (20 rooms.) And it would be great to have something to simply keep track of the reservations and guest information...the POS can be handled by something else, I just want something that I can take with me, and check availability if I am contact while away from my calender....

Basically, a simple calender, which shows the days of the month in conjunction with the room availability.