hot iPod = bad?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bloodyfart, Jan 8, 2008.

1. bloodyfart

bloodyfart Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whenever I use certain apps like gpsphone my iPod gets really hot, and since I use a leather case it gets heated up quite well, and I'm wondering if this is bad Especially for the battery?is it also bad when I'm charging it with the case on? since it gets hot when it charges.
  2. Eragon

Eragon New Member

The device getting hot with heavy use or during charging is not something I would worry about. If your iPod is getting hot while on standby, when there shouldn't be any applications runnin, i would be concerned.
  3. mast3rpyr0

mast3rpyr0 New Member

heat isnt good for any electronic device. i have a plastic case so i couldnt tell you if mine heats up or not. its probably normal
  4. bloodyfart

bloodyfart Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I read somewhere if it gets too hot, it damages the battery
  5. Prabz

Prabz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    question my ipod got hot while adding pxs games is dat normal?
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You mean when it was transferring a large ISO image over Wi-Fi? Yeah, normal... Anything that uses a lot of processor power or wireless - so wireless transfers, syncs or complex programs like emulators...
  7. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Heat is bad for the battery, it speeds up the rate of decay. Try and cool it down (put it in your fridge, ABOVE FREEZING! DO NOT FREEZE IT! IT WILL DESTROY THE BATTERY!), or stop running those apps.
  8. Spam-Robot

Spam-Robot New Member

I noticed mine got VERY hot as well when I was playing games, I just turned it off to make sure no damage would be done.
  9. Eragon

Eragon New Member

Guys, I think we're getting carried away. If the device has been manufactured to specs, then it was designed to get warm with specific use. Now, if we are using it beyond the design specs, that is something else. Temperature is an issue for battery charge remaining - colder it is, the less the battery will hold its charge. Same for temperatures above normal.

We have all heard the horror stories of the lithium ion batteries. Now, you can't even take spare Li-ion batteries on US flights. Or you have the story of the cell phone which exploded inside a guy's pocket.

Let's exercise common sense. If you use the device like we have every intention, expect it to get warm. If you use it for long periods of time, expect the battery to wear.

This paranoia reminds me of the warning labels we now see on McDonald's coffee cups. No ..it! If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. deveelx

deveelx New Member

Put it in the freezer to cool up

Please Register or Log in to view images