Horrible experience

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bullwrinkle, Jun 20, 2010.

1. bullwrinkle

bullwrinkle New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I did something real stupid this morning: I dropped my iTouch in my iToilet. It sank to the bottom of the bowl and I snatched it out immediately, dried it off as quickly as I could.
    I turned it on and the screen came up but soon it displayed just a white screen then notheing.
    I live about 10 minutes from the apple store so I called ahead and asked what I needed to do as its still under warranty.
    No advice (apple does not cover water damage) just it will cost me 200.00 to get replaced.
    The store was crowed but they seem to have enough staff and after 10 minutes or so of waiting I sat down with a employee named "Tommy". Not much he could do as apparently he is not a technician certified to open up the unit and I'm not really sure what he did when he took my iTouch to the back room. He suggested a third party repair service could open up the unit and replace the damaged parts but I decided to go with the replacement.
    I was just a little pissed that for 200.00 I just get another iTouch, no earphones no usb cable, NOTHING and I have to take it home to restore it myself which I am doing at the moment AND is taking so far four hours. My wife was very, very sympathetic and told me to just exchange it so I'm thankful for her for that.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You should have just put it into a airtight container of dry uncooked white rice for a couple days. It would wick all the moisture from the device.
  3. bullwrinkle

bullwrinkle New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I heard of the rice bit but was unsure of it working and thought that advice from the apple store might suggest something like that.
  4. Hyperrunenr

Hyperrunenr New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i once droppped my ipod touch on water clumsy me and the screen just appeared white like urs and i put my ipod under a heat lamp and left it on and after 3 hours or so half the screen showed and i waited longer and the screen turned on completly but the weird thing is that if your charging it and you push the screen the backlight flickers on and off.
  5. DisneyRicky

DisneyRicky Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Wouldn't the heat lamp just fry your iPod?
  6. ipodholic

ipodholic Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Haha! No!
  7. Bob Albright

Bob Albright Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The rice trick works. My best bud dropped his phone in the toilet and that was his remedy. Your biggest bust was to turn it on right away. You fried it at that time.

P.S. Don't peee with your Itouch in your pocket anymore--lol
  8. fearxunleashed

fearxunleashed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well i know for phones you take out the battery and simcard ASAP. And dry and do not turn it on for a while. Definitely a mistake if you turn on the ipod after it was in water. Leave it off and let it dry up.
  9. iBenji

iBenji Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    What you need to do is first blowdry the opening for the usp port at the bottom for about 20 minutes with a hair dryer. Then you need to completly cover it in a bowl of uncooked rice. Leave it in there for atleast a day and hopefully it will work. This worked on mr for an old ipod nano 3rd gen that got water damage. But do it fast before it dries out and ruins everything. Hope this helps