Horrible battery problem.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Blonderator, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Blonderator

Blonderator New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Okay, I've tried searching for this, and didn't really find anything similar to my problem.

I charged my iPod touch before school, and I looked at it and it had a full charge. I left it connected to my Macbook with the sync cable, but I put both the laptop AND the iPod to sleep.

After coming back from school, the iPod's battery was drained to 10% when I woke it back up... wtf?

Also, even though I ONLY listen to music (WiFi and SSH both turned off) and I turn off the screen unless switching songs, I still only get 5 hours battery life. Do I simply have a bad battery? Are these problems enough to convince Apple to replace my iPod/battery?
  2. ojx

ojx Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    ipod wont charge if a computer is on sleep mode
  3. Blonderator

Blonderator New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I know it wont. I'm not stupid.

Please read my post. "...and it had a full charge." It had a full charge before I put the computer to sleep.

And the iPod was asleep, but the battery still drained.
  4. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

And apparently you didn't read ALL of the battery threads that say the very same thing. Install services and shut off wi-fi and SSH. This is a KNOWN issue. You could have read about it. There have been people posting thread after thread about the same problem. You didn't have to use search at all. You could have just scrolled through the posts. It wouldn't have taken more than a few seconds to hit one of the other threads. By the way, "battery problem" in a search would have got you a bunch of them... even a long one.
  5. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Apparently *YOU* didn't read his first post where he said WiFi and SSH were both turned OFF.

To the original poster, I'd suggest that you try unjailbreaking your iPod Touch (force restore) and see if it exhibits the same behavior. If so you can get it replaced - otherwise it's a problem with jailbreaking.
  6. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I'm not buying that they were actually off. This mimics the battery life described exactly by other people talking about the SSH/WiFi down to the span of hours and charge left.
  7. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Why if he knew of the issue would he go to the bother of posting a long thread asking for advice?
  8. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I guess you didn't read what I said.

I didn't say he knew of the issue. I said he needed to search for battery problems and would find that it's a known issue. The threads all report the same form of battery life and the same discovered cause. Just as all the other moderators here say, search first. There are plenty of longwinded first posts here that say exactly the same thing as plenty of other threads with explanations of the problem.

He would have seen that his situation was amazingly similar to dozens of others. That's why I doubt the SSH and WiFi were actually off. Apparently he DID know about the problem, contrary to your own statement, because he said SSH and WiFi were off, as you pointed out, when listening to music. He never said they were off when it was charging.
  9. Blonderator

Blonderator New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That wasn't my only problem...

The main question I wanted answered was why would the entire battery drain when the iPod was in sleep mode? Sure, it wasn't charging through the computer, but could the sync cable somehow drain the battery if power is not supplied to the iPod?

And seriously, just stop arguing. I searched and never found anybody else who had their battery randomly drained for no apparent reason. Acually read my first post before you flame me. Thanks.
  10. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

You didn't read well enough. There are MANY posts about exactly the same symptoms. They are the symptoms of SSH and WiFi being on when the Touch was sleeping. It's a very common thread. There are many posts about overnight draining. I did read your post.

It didn't drain from being connected to a shut off computer.