HoldEm Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by SiXAXiS, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Version 1.1 | Size 129MB​

Quick Intro__________________
    Hold Em is a game developed by Apple Inc. The game is based off of Texas Hold 'Em Poker. In this game, you will notice that there isn't the ordinary "flat out boring design" and environment you play in games like Ultimate Hold'em Poker , but instead you will get a rich a 3-D environment that makes you feel like you are really playing the game!

Features__________________

When you load up the game, you will get a nice screen shot of the game, then a animated Diamond encrusted Spade. Once the game has loaded, you will be greeted with a simple menu that will allow you to access all of the games features. This game can also play in Portrait and in Landscape modes, which in my opinion is a good thing and a bad thing. It can be good to have different modes to play, but also if you were laying down on a bed, it can be quite troubling to play the game. Anyways, here are what the buttons do:

Single Player
    This lets you play a single player game of Texas Hold Em Poker. Once Selected, you will be prompted to choose a location for your game. We will go into this further later.

Multiplayer
    This lets you play a Multi-Player game of Texas Hold Em Poker. When you choose this it will let you change your settings such as Player icon or Location before you start the match. Internet will be required for this feature.

Settings
    Settings will let you toggle game options such as: Overlays, Prompts, Vibrate, and Game Music. You can also change The Music and Sound Effects Volume.

Statistics
    Basically, this will show all of your Statistics such as: Total Winnings, Biggest Pot won, Best Hand, and Games played.

Help
    This will show you how to "operate" the game. It does not teach you how to play Texas Hold Em.

Gameplay__________________
    Hold'em is a strategy game, card game or gambling game, which ever you prefer. The game is based entirely off of Texas Hold Em Poker, so if you don't know how to play that, than I suggest you learn a little bit before purchasing this Application.

Like stated before, once you click on Single Player, the game will ask you to choose a location. There are a total of 10 locations, and you can only get in 1 of them for free.

Once you get in, or buy in, you will be dealt 2 cards.

Controls__________________
    The controls may be confusing at first, but once you get used to it it will be a breeze. Here are the controls:

To call, all you have to do is tap the chips you have (the ones next to your cards) and a little pop up will ask you how much you want to bet.

To make a bet,
    all you have to do is follow the instructions on how to call, than you will simply move the slider.

To Fold, all you have to do is tap and hold the cards, and move it towards the center of the screen

After you make a decision on what you want to do (fold, call, or raise), everyone else will have a turn on what they want to do. Once that has happened, and a few rounds have passed by, the dealer will pull out 3 cards.

Basically he will put out 3 cards for you to compare them with yours. then he will pull out one more in the next round, and the last in the round after that. After five cards have been pulled out, you will make the last betting round. After that everyone show their cards and the dealer decides who has the best hand. The one with the best hand wins all the money everyone put in. (called the "pot")

So that's all pretty simple huh? I sure hope it is. So you just keep playing, trying to keep your money flow going up, and eventually you will be the winner!

Audio__________________
    So i want to talk about the audio quality. Usually what I look for in a game is crisp and undistorted audio. The audio in this game is great! In my opinion i think Apple had done a great job on taking advantage of their surround sound engine. The sounds are very realistic and does not sound distorted in anyway.

Ratings__________________
    So after a walk trough of the game, I would like to score it in certain areas. that follow,

Gameplay: 3/5 - It skips a lot of scenes, but in my personal opinion, they should have left in. For example, when you are to fold, it just shows who wins in the game. I think there should be a option to see what happened between the fold and the win or to skip it.

Controls: 5/5 - Very easy, and "natural" controls. There are no special buttons you have to press.

Graphics: 5/5 - Apple did a great job on the graphics. There is a lot of eye candy, and like before, I stated that there aren't a lot of apps out there that does what apple did.

Audio: 5/5 - Like stated above, great audio quality. Does not sound distorted and takes advantage of their surround sound engine.

Replay Value: 3/5 - Could have done better. I did not see any sort of online scoreboards,
    I think that is one of the major things to keep the replay value up.

Overall Score

Overall it is a pretty good game, in my opinion the best Texas Hold Em Poker app out there. I would recommend this game.

Attached Files:

2. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    *fingers crossed*
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

What?

I see no review.

EDIT: Alright.
  4. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Can you guys see the pics? How is the review? suggestions?
  5. Germany

Germany Banned

The review template is good, but try to add a little more detail. On the overall description, can you compare it to any other Texas Hold 'Em applications? That would be helpful for readers. For the pictures, all I see are thumbnail icons that redirect to Apple's website. Try fixing them.
  6. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Ok, but tell me, how did you guys upload your pics?
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    pics?

no screenshots, are there meant to be?

if not, then you should add some, but overall very detailed! nice.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    take a screenshot.... then put it onto your computer...

through otunes, if a mac iphoto shoudl open up

then upload to

tinypic.com
  8. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Ok images fixed
  9. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Very nice layout. *Thumbs up*
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Layout and presentation are great. The opening images are good and you've obviously spent some time on them, though you can see that your image creation skills are in their formative years. A few more line spaces here and there would round off the rough edges of the layout. Titles and subtitles have great impact and wicked style. Screeshots standard but great to see them rather than thumbnails. Scoring good.

The only thing that lets you down in the review is the actual writing. Content is okay but there's not enough depth and at times it is not intelligible or easy to read. I would suggest you read back through each paragraph of what you have written, saying it out loud or in your head and see if you think it can be improved upon to make it flow better. Some grammatical and syntax errors, but they're no major issue.

Overall though a great review and I'm glad I've seen it now after you've taken a few tips from the MR Team and other members that have polished it up further. Try to improve the writing in this one.

Looking forward to re-reading it and also to seeing your future reviews. Great effort.