Hmmm.. 2G Jailbreak method?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by beebop, Nov 23, 2008.

1. beebop

beebop New Member

Okay.. so i was wondering.. why can't Cydia/installer just be ported using the sdk and then instead of sending it to apple, just post it online for download in an .app format...

Clearly it's not as easy as that because it would have been done ages ago... but i've been wondering about this for ages
  2. mclaurin10

mclaurin10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Its because the difference between JB apps and .ipa apps is that JB apps can access things normal apps cant, the point of Jailbreaking is doing what apple wont let you, accessing frameworks and modifying current apple apps.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The SDK-programmed apps require FairPlay DRM assigned to them as well - those code signatures are what tell the iPod the program's allowed to run on your iPod, which is synced to a specific iTunes account. So just having them in an IPA is useless, since you wouldn't be able to get the iPod to verify their code signatures, as they wouldn't have one. Plus, Cydia and Installer require root-level access to the filesystem, which they wouldn't get installed in the /var/mobile/Applications folder.
  4. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    integrity check would fail because they are not signed by Apple. all AppStore applications are signed by Apple. even if you managed to sneak one by, AppStore applications are heavily limited because they do not have the ability to run as root.
  5. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

won't work
  6. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey thanks Champ, i think we figured that out already...