HistoryDL

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by lvlln, Feb 1, 2008.

1. lvlln

lvlln New Member

HistoryDL is currently the only really convenient way to download .html, .pdf, and image files through the iPod, better than the Safari download plugin in some ways because it doesn't turn off streaming or anything like that; you can view/listen/watch the files on Safari just fine, but then download it using the app.

However, once I upgraded to 1.1.3 Devteam JB, after I installed HistoryDL, it won't work. It opens up fine, but the list, which normally shows the info from the History folder of Safari's bookmarks, is empty. I can still change what folder I want it to download to, but obviously without any links to click, it's useless.

But I've heard at least one other person saying that HistoryDL works fine on their 1.1.3.

So, I was hoping to hear if anyone has HistoryDL working on their 1.1.3 JB, and if anyone might know why it doesn't work on mine, as well as any fixes that might work.

Thank you.
  2. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    what devteam jb. there are like 5 of them.
  3. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I used one of the early ones that worked through Installer. But does it matter? Don't all the devteam JBs leave you with essentially the same iPod? I had to do a restore to 1.1.1 before doing it, so there was nothing special about my iPod.
  4. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Could I at least have some confirmation that HistoryDL is working for more people? Again, I've seen at least one mention of it working on 1.1.3, but I'd like to know how it is in general.
  5. ipodtouchhaxer

ipodtouchhaxer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    -Revives thread-
    I would also like an answer to why it doesn't work...
  6. big.dai.x

big.dai.x New Member

The Safari History.plist file has moved, pre 1.1.3 I assume it would be in /private/var/root/Library/Safari/ but from 1.1.3 as with a lot of things it has cahnged to be the user mobile and is now in /private/var/mobile/Library/Safari/
    I have made it work using a symbolic link as ther is no Safari directory in /private/var/root/Library/Safari/ anymore, however if there were a reaon why the system would need one, this could cause problems
  7. fundoc71

fundoc71 New Member

Can u please tell me how to create symbolic link
  8. big.dai.x

big.dai.x New Member

ssh into your ipod, on windows use putty or on the ipod use term-vt100 and type
    Code:
    cd /private/var/root/Library/
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Safari Safari
    test this has woked by typing
    Code:
    ls -la | grep Safari
    You should get output similar to
    Code:
    lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   26 Mar 23 00:54 Safari -> /var/mobile/Library/Safari
    The important part is whee it shows where Safari is redirecting to

WARNING!!! Use this with caution as if anything ever has reason to write to /private/var/root/Library/Safari it will now be redirected to the /private/var/mobile/Library/Safari directory and may cause problems, I have no idea weather this will ever happen but is possible
  9. ipodtouchhaxer

ipodtouchhaxer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I though that was the reason.
    Okay thank you.
    technically and in theory even if safari needed to use /private/var/root/Library/Safari/
    it would still work though
  10. fundoc71

fundoc71 New Member

When I run these commands in the termvt of my 1.1.4 iPhone it says " In command not supported.what to do now?