High quantity image browsing

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Vinay, May 7, 2008.

1. Vinay

Vinay New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am not sure if an app like this currently exists or not, but I will describe it anyway.

I am looking for an app that can browse through a large amount of high resolution images.
    • These images are copied over to the Touch directly via USB/SSH
    • Total size of all images may be in the hundreds of megabytes (ie. there are a lot of images)
    • The app needs to have a scrollable list showing just the image filenames. A-Z sidebar scrolling would be highly desirable.
    • A scrollable thumbnail list would be highly desirable but not essential.
    • When viewing an individual image, an option to show the filename somewhere small at the top would be highly desirable.
    • Apart from sorting by filename, an option to sort by Date Modified would also be highly desirable.
    • Needs to have the standard pinch-zoom feature while viewing individual images.

I don't want to use the Photos app because the images get modified by iTunes, and it also doesn't appear to have any support for filenames.

So far I have tried 3 different solutions:

MobileFinder + MobilePreview
    Finder just crashes if there are more than 10-20 images in a directory.

iComic
    This is great for viewing individual images. Zooming and moving between images in slide-show type format is great. Unfortunately this app will crash when scrolling through a large list of images. Also, it lacks the A-Z sidebar scroller (I am not sure how difficult this is to implement).

phpPod
    Thumbnail preview feature here is nice. I would have liked to have the filenames displayed under the thumbnails in small text. Unfortunately this app also crashes when faced with a large amount of images. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to scroll through the image filenames rather than thumbnails.
  2. Vinay

Vinay New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. Vinay

Vinay New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. optimo

optimo New Member

I read this a few times

maybe if you describe the purpose I can develop a better idea

you don't mention the size of the images(dimensions, depth) which can make a huge difference in processing thumbnails

either way, I do have a suggestion:!
    There is a new App called 'Docs', the current version may not do what you need, but I have seen the developers work-in-progress. it uses tha safari-style viewer to open documents and images.

try installing it now, and wait for the update which includes a preview
  5. Vinay

Vinay New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for replying.

I am looking for pretty much what I said. A high resolution image browser, mainly photos.

I installed and tried Docs; it's pretty good. I like the preview feature, but would like it even more if I could go to the next image from within the preview window (instead of having to go back to the file list).

For reference I'm looking at something that can scroll through around 2000 images; Docs crashes if they're in the same folder so I guess I'll have to put them in separate folders.

Thumbnails aren't really that important.. the important thing is being able to scroll through a long list of files.
  6. optimo

optimo New Member

I'll mention these ideas to BigBoss, perhaps he will try to add them to Docs
    the devs may need a better way to create file listings for many files (2000 is not even very large, its disappointing to hear it crashes)