High Quality video on the Touch...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ph2t, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Hey there everyone. I bought the Ipod touch due to it's killa video playback abilities. Thanks to some enterprising minds over at doom9.org(thanks Theliel!!!!!) we can make it even better.

Please Register or Log in to view images

As you all prolly know, the native resolution of the Touch is 480 x 320 pixels. This is quite sharp for playing back portable videos but when you play it back on the TV to me it leaves a lot to be improved.

I have experimented with info from the great minds at doom9.org along with profiles in MeGUI and have managed to pull off some high quality conversions that exceeed the actual official Apple specs.

To show you what I mean, I will only be focusing on the H264 compressed MP4 data, not MPEG-4SP (divx,xvid) MP4 data. To me H264 is where it's at and where it's going to be for the next few years.

From the horse's mouth:

Note these are atually TWO formats for the H.264 compression standard, one has a higher bitrate (2.5Mbps vs 1.5Mbps) due to the AVC level 3.0 which tells us what group of "attributes/features" are in a particular H.264 video stream. To me this is confusing, why would apple release two H.264 specs? Go figure....

Anyways, these specs are good, but hey, they can be better.

Here's a comparison against apple specs and what I've been able to pull off.

Apple Spec - 640 x 480
    Working Spec - 720 x 480(NTSC) OR 720 x 576(PAL)

Apple Spec - 2.5Mbps (Baseline Lvl 3)
    Working Spec - 10Mbps!!

Now 10Mbps is an arguable overkill for H.264 but it goes to show you what is possible if you're willing to push the limits of the Touch.

Here's an example encode to try out. It has the following specs.

Resolution: 720x400 (AR 16:9 approx, lol)
    H.264 Bitrate: 1.5Mbps (2-pass)
    AAC-LC Audio: 96Kbps ABR

File: http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/mp4/testNTSC-muxed.mp4

Give it a go guys and tell me if it works for you. I run it no probs on my v1.1.1 Touch.

I will work on my encoding profiles to get some good ones going. I like the high-res conversions since they lok great on the player AND I can then connect my Touch to my TV and continue watching stuff at DVD quality resolutions with excellent low value bitrates.

I hope future firmware updates unlock the HD(and Full HD) resolutions, that would be mad! Couple this with the ongoing breakthoughs in video encoding technology the H.264 codec is doing and I'll never need to buy a HD player! lol....

cheers,

ph2t.
  2. ParadoxFOREVER

ParadoxFOREVER New Member

Does this acutally work, anyone?
    I want full quality videos, as in the movies bought from the apple store, but their almost $30... Converting the videos, mess up the quality.
  3. timekeeper

timekeeper New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How do you output an ipod to TV? Or is it only 2G ipods?
  4. ParadoxFOREVER

ParadoxFOREVER New Member

Well, how do you download it for starters? lol