High-low resolution photos

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pyrvs, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pyrvs

pyrvs Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know there are some threads about the same iTunes crappy conversion, but they are all inactive and I've haven't found any that gives any kind of solution, so: why does iTunes convert high res into crappy sh*t whithout asking? Is there any workaround. It even makes bigger files.

Optimization: high res --> low res, lower file
    Apple's optimization: high res --> very very low res, bigger file

How come Apple ignores that as a minor issue, IT'S A HUGE PROBLEM!

At least I would want to know which is the best file size (in the computer) for syncing:
    png, jpg, gif, tiff, tga...?
    640x480? is that enough for zooming in?

I would thank any answer.
  2. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No, there isn't a workaround. But it really does not matter that much
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

It's because it gets turned into a BMP-like file, from what I've read... and to limit the CPU's workload, they resize it into a screen-friendly format which isn't so friendly on the resolution of the picture. There -is- no workaround, except not to use your iPod for high-res shos.

Beyond that, I can only suggest using iTunes with low-res pictures and accepting that the file sizes are going to get blown up greatly.
  4. quarkhopper

quarkhopper New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It does matter

I've found that the iPod Touch just displays the images at a really horrific loss of quality. If you get an app that goes around the photo app (like "Flash Drive" from the app store) you can see them much higher quality again.

Still, this is an annoyance when you want to use a picture as part of your theme and all you get is a wretched facsimile.

Also, the first reply is really obnoxious. I hate going on a forum looking for a solution and someone replies with:

a) I'm not having a problem. I don't know what your problem is, but at least I'm not experiencing it.

b) It's not a big deal (to me).

When people ask for help and you don't want to give it, don't reply. Otherwise you're not helping (unless, of course, you're telling them to follow the forum rules or sending them to the appropriate thread).
  5. Ford GT

Ford GT Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree with the OP 100%. Apple needs to address this issue. It is not because the iPod Touch/iPhone's CPU cannot handle the size of the images. From what I have read they did it to save space since they are both flash based devices. It makes no sense to those of us who want to have higher quality photos but the general consumer doesn't care or know enough to notice and so Apple doesn't allow that option.
  6. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    quarkhopper: Forums are not only about asking for help and solving problems. They're also for constructing arguments, expressing thoughts, ideas, etc. Face it, the man is entitled to his opinion. As are you.

Ford GT: Actually, 300 MB high resolution photos take up around 1 GB on the iPod. And the quality is crap.

I think they did it to smooth out the transition from picture to picture. High-res photos would take longer to preview too (read: thumbnail). A workaround would be getting iFile from Cydia or "Flash Drive" (or similar) from iTunes.

If anyone knows a better photo browser, please share.