Hidden Wireless Network. Need Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jettstar, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Jettstar

Jettstar New Member

I have a wireless network at home which is hidden and wep encrypted and i can access it with my laptop fine but when i try to add it in Settings>Wi-Fi>Other.. and i enter the info it just says that it cant find the network.
    I got the ssid off my laptop which i think is the actual ssid because it worked on my laptop and i know that the wep key it right....

So now im really lost and i dont know what else to try. Any suggestions would be much appriaciated. Thanks in advance
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Unhide your network. Then connect to it via your iPod touch. Then hide it again.
  3. Jettstar

Jettstar New Member

yeh thanks for that. Im not sure how to do that but I'll give it a shot

Please Register or Log in to view images

. From what ive heard, you can connect to hidden networks using the other function and using the app wifinder it can see the network and it says that its hidden so my ipod can definately see it, just not find it if that makes sence.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help
  4. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Sorry, no other ideas. But let's see if the first idea works.
  5. Jettstar

Jettstar New Member

Nah, I can't figure out how to change from hidden to being shown

Please Register or Log in to view images

do you know how i could confirm the ssid? Because im guessing that thats the problem as i've seen in other threads that it is possible to connect to hidden networks. Also when i type it in it says cannot find xxxxx network. So i think that you need the right ssid to find it but i thorught that that was the right one.... maby not. Do you know how to find out if it is the right ssid? Thanks
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why are you hiding your network? To protect yourself? If you really wanted to protect yourself, you'd be using WPA/WPA2. WEP is so easily hacked. And a Hidden SSID is so easily revealed.
  7. Jettstar

Jettstar New Member

The wireless router came like that and i had alot of trouble connecting it to my laptop so i dont really want to mess around with it too much. Could you tell me how to find out the ssid? Thanks
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well I've just tried using a couple of sniffer programs and they can find it fine but they all say that there is no ssid. so is it possible that theres no ssid? or just that those programs cant find it?