Hi

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by romeboards, Jan 23, 2009.

1. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey guys. For those that know who I am or if you are a kind soul, please keep reading, if you dont, please move along. Remember this stuff?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well, theres more coming. And soon.

So I've decided to jailbreak the iPhone. After weeks of deliberation and a general fussiness, I saw a friend who had his done and the temptation overcame me. I'd like to think is lasted pretty well though- almost 8 months!

So I'm getting back into the scene. Expect some more new themes and photoshop awesomeness pretty soon. I've been working *semi*-professionally in CS2 (my favorite) and I'm exponents better now than I was back in the early days. However, I have a problem.

When you haven't been following this stuff for 8 months, it gets new and scary. I'm feeling like the old man who is confused by this radical new and confusing technology. So my short question is: Can I get some help or something? I'd like to think I have contributed a decent amount to this forum, and all I want is some answers in return. Back in the day, this was against protocol. Just search instead. But again I'll bring back the old man reference- if I put too much time looking into this, I might just fall asleep in my recliner or watch wheel of fortune instead. So I ask: a little help please?

1. With the new jailbreaking stuff (iPhone 2.2), am I gonna lose texts, contacts, apps, music, videos, everything, etc.? If I have to restore this baby, I'm out.

2. Cydia or Installer: whats the deal? Is there some sort of master list of sources like back in the day?

3. "Widget" things: Seen these on the screenshot thread, totally awesome, but easy to install?

4. App Store: does it retain its functionality?

5. Has anyone written up some sort of a list of *must have* jailbreak apps? Last time I was here the NES emulator was a big deal. I see things have changed.

Also, any crucial you-must-know-this information (or some great links to get me started)? I have no intentions of unlocking this thing, but a video recorder is totally awesome.

and finally- any requests (not going into another massive 200 icon master theme just yet, mind you)? I'm *kinda* open for business, so to speak. Good day.

(posting this to the themes section because of the request-stuff. And to get more responses, but at least I'm honest about it, right?)
  2. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

I know there is a thread about "free apps that don't suck".
  3. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    1. Yes you do have to have to restore from 2.2 firmware and JB from there.
    2. Yes there is a great list here>> http://www.ifans.com/forums/...27#post1040427
    3.Yes, widgets are very easy to install. Just drop them in the Themes folder and apply in Winterboard. You may have to configure the widget to apply to where you live.
    4.Yes.
    5.Umm. There is probably one around here. I've seen tons of threads on these.
    Some of my top cydia apps consist of:
    Sbsettings, Mxtube, 5 icon dock and Scrobbler.
    6. There many important links but I don't know what you want specifically. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Edit: I do have a request. Would an "actual" good PS3 theme be to much? Or something like Tenuis or Gradiance?
  4. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    For now, *kinda*. I hope to start working on bigger and better things once I get settled in on my own setup, but as of right now I wouldn't even know where to begin. However, if i ever reach a point where I start doing big themes again, I'll definitely put you on the short list.

Can anyone link me to this theme?

I just need the iconset, no hot girl wallpaper. I'm pretty sure that would be a bad thing in the girlfriend dept...
  5. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

No, you don't need to restore. Yes, the app store works. The popular thngs back then are almos the same now. Check out my tutorial thread on how to theme using Winterboard for help on theme packaging.

Oh, and if you need widget help, I'm absolutely your guy. Poisitioning, content, color, etc. I can change anything to your liking.
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    That'd be Glaskart. You can find it on Cydia.
  7. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Trust him on this. The dude is pretty amazing.
  8. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Word. So basically its just like me respringing the iPhone and just having Cydia on then? Nothing changes (I'm fairly nervous about that)

Also, thanks for the offer of help. i just need a few good links/ guides or whatever to get me rolling (you might not know this, but I was one of the very first to do any skinning/theming to the iPod touch, mainly through some ugly ass methods), but I'll definitely ask you if I need help
  9. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

I know about you, but theming changed a little since you were here last

. I was just offering a guide to package the Themes.

And yes, you just run a program, and let it sit for a few minutes, and then it reboot and Cydia (much more advanced than Installer) will appear.
  10. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no more SSHing things in? I always preferred that way