Hi, wondering if an ipod touch is right for me...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mcyk05, May 9, 2008.

1. mcyk05

mcyk05 New Member

sorry if this has been posted before but i was wondering if an ipod touch is a good replacement for my current palm tx:

Things i greatly need to use (that i am unable to find out from the specs alone):
    +Being able to use SSH
    +Typing up short to medium length text documents and syncing them with my pc (no, i do not have an apple computer at present =( ).
    +Being able to view video files that are NOT in quicktime format. -> eg what tcpmp does

Things that are nice to have but have a lower factor in deciding if i buy an touch:
    +Being able to program in python / haskell/ prolog / java on the touch itself
    +a proper text editor (emacs / vim )?
    +non-drmed mp3

One last question, why was the arm cpu in the ipod touch underclocked? (other than to extend battery life?)

Thanks for reading this, hope to have some replies soon!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you jailbreak
    u can use ssh
    you can type the docs but you'll hvae to email them
    probably when 2.0 is released there will be some app to view non quicktime files
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I believe that the iPod touch is right for you. Through jailbreaking, which is fairly simple, you'll be able to install the OpenSSH application which will enable you to have SSH with your iPod touch. Yes, there are text editing applications for the iPod touch. Notes is for jotting down small things but TextEdit is for writing full length documents which can be accessed on your computer (PC or Mac) through SSH as a .txt file.

As for viewing video files in non-QuickTime format, embedded videos cannot be viewed through Safari on the iPod touch but there is a YouTube application for viewing YouTube videos. The video extension supported for the videos application of the iPod touch is MP4.

I'm not positive on the programming part, although there are many applications for developers including Jiggy (Jiggy Runtime) and others. You'll have to ask some developers that question for a better answer. As far as a proper text editor goes, you can use TextEdit which saves documents as a .txt. You'll be typing using the on-screen iPod touch keyboard by tapping the letters (You'll get used to it.)

The ARM CPU was underclocked to increase battery life, and I don't know other specific reasons. Although, with Firmware 1.1.2, they increased the speed from 400-410* MHz to 412MHz and it is becoming faster and faster each firmware release, almost as if it is now being overclocked.

The iPod touch supports AAC, Formatted AAC, and .mp3 file extensions for audio files. I'm not too sure about the DRM mp3's.

Hope this helped!

4. mrgono3

mrgono3 New Member

make sure you try the keyboard. It takes a bit of time to get used to it but personally i wouldnt type up documents on it.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, you can get the hang of the iPod touch keyboard when using it in landscape mode, but still. It's just - not the greatest typing tool.
  6. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

hahahaha lol your funny no fudging way is the ipod touch right for you what you need is a iphone way better sure you might not use the phone part but how cooler would it sound that you have the iphone and not the ipod touch way cooler not only do you get the ipod with a phone (if you want to use it)but you get a camera which a ipod touch dosent have so go get a iphone and not a ipod touch
    1 person likes this.
  7. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lazy did you get my pm?
  8. mcyk05

mcyk05 New Member

Thanks for all the replies !

Hi, thanks for all the replies XD (thanks Kiks! ) i 've received my ipod touch today, and did as recommended, jailbreaking -> installing bsd subsystem -> term-vt100 -> openssh

haven't installed any of the perl / python /ruby etc runtimes yet, didn't even manage to read most of the threads until today as i had to send my personal laptop off for servicing(fan died =P). 10-15 days without my music collection just as i got my first ipod lol XD

i'm quite surprised at how easy it is to install stuff once jailbroken. (though i screwed up several times and had to do a system restore , 1 odd bug, if i don't connect to my home wifi before i jailbreak then use the installer app, then the touch is unable to connect to any wifi points, even if it does not require encryption. restarting the touch and router did not help either. Fixed with a system restore -> connect -> jailbreak)

anyway, just one more question... -> how do you use the escape key in term-vt100 ?

its in the circular menu but i've no idea how to get it... without the escape key i'm doomed to be forever in insert mode in vi ....^_^

Thanks for all your help!

p.s. is there any way to realign the touchscreen similar to what palm had?
  9. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you hold ur finger down then go to escape button

realign?
  10. mcyk05

mcyk05 New Member

thanks for the reply hacked2times, but i simply can't find the escape key(Esc) on the square menu that comes up. mm, what is the command for Esc? maybe i can manually add that into the window...