Hi.. New user with Questions..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DTabs, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DTabs

DTabs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi.. as the title says, im new to the forum and have a few questions..

Ive got a 2G Ipod Touch 8G, had it a while now.. but signing up to this forum i was asked what 'Firmware' i use.. i have no idea lol. Im guessing 'Firmware' is like an OS but for the Ipod ?? How would i know which im using ?

Also, i came across this forum trying to do research on 'jailbreaking'. Im not interested in 'jailbreaking' my ipod (yet if anything, anyways..), just curiuos to what it is.. Im found that its what you do to 'hack' your ipod so you can install certain apps ect but what exactually are these apps ?? what differs them from the apps at the app store ?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for any input

2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You find your firmware by going to Settings->General->About, and under Version, you'll see your iPhone OS Version ("Firmware").

Jailbreaking is the process of allowing read/write access to the whole filesystem, so you can change your iPod's look, feel, and customize it to your needs. There are also third-party applications that are not on the App Store that can do various things that an application on the App Store cannot do, and most of them are free.
  3. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    To find out your firmware, Go into settings > About and its next to firmware (Most likely 2.2.1)

Jailbreaking, The sexiest thing ever

Lets you theme your iPod to make it sexy, also lets you tweak your iPod (Like, lets you have widgets on your screen, and other things like having 5 icons on your dock) And there is loads more to do.
  4. DTabs

DTabs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks guys.. yea so the firmware im using is 2.2.1, is that the latest ??

Jailbreaking, how do you do it ? and wher would you get the software/apps from ?
  5. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There are plenty of tutorials around the forums for Jailbreaking.

As far as where to get the apps, When you jailbreak, the app "Cydia" is installed. Look at Cydia as the Jailbroken Appstore. It's similar, but nearly everything is free, and most of the stuff would be rejected from the appstore.

Some prime examples are;

Emulators - Currently, you can get NES, SNES, PSX, Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy advanced, and a few other Emulators.

*******ing - Dtunes, Enhanced C*******, and *******ula all have *******ing capabilities.

Youtube - MXTube is similar to the Youtube App, but lets you save videos to your iPod, rather than just watch them online.

Theming - Winterboard allows you to COMPLETELY change the look of your iPod. Not to mention apps like backgrounder and Categories, which give you a near OS-like feel. You can see my Touch's springboard in my avatar. I'm using a theme (Ultimate Leopard 3.2), along with Categories for my apps (hence the HDD icon), and Backgrounder for multitasking apps.

There's even more as well. I HIGHLY recommend jailbreaking.
  6. DTabs

DTabs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh wow.. yea it looks cool. How does jailbreaking go in terms of updating firmware ? does it affect it at all ??

and can things go wrong ?? what happens if it does ? is it reversable ? lol..
  7. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If anything messes up you can always restore your iPod back to factory settings. That will erase all your data but fix any problem. It's not possible to permanently mess up your iPod. After that you can resync your iPod to get all your media back.

If your jailbroken and you update your firmware it will unjailbreak you, but won't damage anything.
  8. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah Jailbreaking=Pretty Safe, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. AND YOU READ.

Just Sayin'
  9. DTabs

DTabs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. nofx3913

nofx3913 New Member

i got an ipod touch, but it needed to be restore cause my friend sell it to me. but when i try to restore it says : the sofware for this ipod is not available. Be sure you have the latest version of itunes. I have the latest version of itunes but i dont understand the sofware probleme need help please.