Hi - new iPhone and questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanielT, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DanielT

DanielT New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Hello all,

So I went ahead and got the newest iPhone 3GS, because I decided to switch my carrier and I was surprisingly impressed with the iPod Touch that I had gotten from a friend.

First of all, LOVE the iPhone 3GS - absolutely fantastic.

I have a few questions regarding customization etc. which may or may not be specific to this model..

1. I would like my Favorites screen for contacts to display the contact's embedded picture. If anyone here is familiar with Winmo SPB Mobile Shell you'll know exactly what I mean.

2. Is there a way to separate the volume settings with regard to having phone ring on one level, but apps and games a different level, and email and text alerts yet another level of volume? This is very elementary as far as I'm concerned... maybe I just missed some way to do it but it seems very short-sighted to not make this available.

3. I would like any recommendations for utilities for Shell customization such as having background image for each icon screen, stuff like better battery indicator (% rather than icon) and general stuff like that. I know I can search around and find a gazillion products, but I'm looking for a recommendation based on a user's experience and expertise.

4. Is there a way to assign a distinct ringtone to individual contacts or groups? I'd imagine someone knows of an add-on for this? Please advise if anyone does know of something they like, because this is a very important need for me - helps me decide whether I want to take my phone out to look at who is calling if I have an assigned group ringtone for let's say Clientele then I will know I want to look at the ID rather than let us say friends or others.

Any further recommendations would be appreciated. I am very savvy and want to customize a lot of aspects of the phone... but I'm coming from many many years of expertise in Windows Mobile and zilch in iPhone.

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. If you mean get a contact picture for when they call, upload the photo to your phone, or email, and just set it as the contact image. If not, no clue what you asked tbh lol.
    2. Not that i know off, only one i can think are separate are when headphones are plugged in, and when theyre not.
    3. Screen wise, think only thing you can do is shuffle the images, sorta like a slide show, and 3GS has the option for accurate battery display, its under settings -> usage. should be there, if not, its around there. You can also activate it with SBS settings.
    4. Sperate ringtones is a simple task... Select you contact in the address book, edit, and scroll down, custom ringtone option is there lol...

As for other things, i just recommend that you pray to god that your phone doesn't ever randomly shut off/reboot on you while your not at home, since the 3GS has no untethered JB XD
  3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

First off you are somewhat limited as to what you can do until a jailbreak is released for your iPhone. Once there is a way to jailbreak it you can do a lot more with it.

As for your questions:

1. No way that I know of.
    2. You can set the volumes to different levels and they should stay that way for the ringer, apps, music, and with earphones attached.
    3. I am not sure any way without having your iPhone jailbroken.
    4. Go to your contact and you can pick a ringtone for that contact. I'm not sure if you can setup groups on the iPhone. I know you can do it on the computer but I'm not sure you can give that group a specific ringtone (I'd give you a better answer but I don't have any groups setup in my iPhone).
  4. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can do groups on a Mac's Address Book, and they then sync to your phone, not sure if you can do it on a PC though.