Hi, how can I wipe Ipod 32g and start over?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by solennial, Jun 22, 2010.

1. solennial

solennial New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have an ipod touch 32 gig 3rd generation. It shipped with 3.1.2 and was upgraded to 3.1.3 before I used spirit when it came out to tide me over till I0S4.

All of the articles said that jailbreaks were not permanent and it was no problem to restore back. I went to restore an I got a message that
    this device isn't eligible for the request build.

So what do I do?

I just want to make it like I bought it so that I can put the new Ipod OS on it?

Thanks!
  2. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hold the Shift key when you press the "Restore" button in iTunes. That will allow you to choose the .ipsw file manually. AFAIK, you can't downgrade a "3rd generation" iPT or a 3GS. So if you tried to restore 3.1.2 that's probably what it meant by that error message.

Try the Shift key method and just choose the OS 4.0 .ipsw file. It will manually restore the iPod. Hope it helps.
  3. solennial

solennial New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It won't let me download IOS4 without 9.2 itunes, and I've read not to use 9.2 itunes.

I don't want to go back to 3.1.2 - 3.1.3 is fine. I just want to unjailbreak to update to 4.0

EVERY thing I read said not to worry about it, it was as simple as clicking restore to undo a jailbreak. I'll try the shift thing and report back and see if I see any different options.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I held the shift key down and clicked restore - and absolutely nothing different happened.

Can I just download 9.2 and then download the IOS4 update and run it while it is jailbroken now? Will it simply overwrite?

I don't care if I loose all my stuff on it, etc - I just want to blank it so I can get the new IOS4

Thanks again!
  4. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you hold down the shift key WHILE you click the Restore button it will let you browse for the .ipsw file.

Have you tried Google-ing the problem?

http://www.google.com/search?q=this device isnt eligible for the request build

Edit: Seems to me like I was right. People were trying to downgrade 3GS's from 3.1.3 to 3.0 (lol). You can't downgrade the new iDevices. You can only go up. So try restoring the OS 4.0 .ipsw file by holding shift.

Please Register or Log in to view images

By not holding shift I'm 85% sure it will just update it and you'll get to keep your stuff. But I think it's better to do a "clean" install.
  5. solennial

solennial New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Actually, yea. I have I keep getting things about downgrading and shsh blobs and such. I have no clue what they mean.

I don't know what to say about he shift thing. I hold down shift. I click on restore. Nothing different happens.

Thanks for any more?
  6. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Right. I remember now. You can downgrade the new iDevices but you need a backup of the keys or some sh*t like that prior to the update. So if you wanted to go back from 3.1.3 to 3.0 for instance, you would've had to do a backup when you were on 3.0. Makes sense ?

When holding down the shift key it should pop out a Browse window.

Are you using Windows or OS X ? If you're using OS X try the Option key then...

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. solennial

solennial New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So I had no clue about any of that. My device started a 3.1.2 it is at 3.1.3 - I'm happy with either. I don't care about 'downgrading' I just want to get rid of jailbreak to update to 4.0

Will the upgrade to 4.0 wipe the jailbreak? I'm so confused. Everyone said - no worries- just hit restore when you are tired of the jailbreak . . . sigh . ..
  8. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Like I said, by not holding shift (or the Option key) I'm 85% sure it will just update it and you'll get to keep your stuff, minus the jailbreak.