Hi all, quick unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bellyfrog, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bellyfrog

bellyfrog New Member

Hey guys, my first post here, so hi to all!

Sorry if this is a totally noob question, I did do a quick search but didn't find anything specific to this.

I don't live in the US, but I noticed I can get an iphone $100 cheaper from ebay USA (the AT&T models). If I bought one of those, and got it shipped to my country, will I be able to jailbreak and unlock the iphone? Considering that I won't have an AT&T simcard to put in the phone of course.

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT - I did find somewhere I can buy an AT&T simcard in my country, obviously I'm not in the USA so I won't be able to connect to the AT&T network I assume, but if I can't unlock the phone without the SIM, can I unlock it if I have the SIM with no network coverage?

Thanks again

2. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If the iphone is a 3G or a 2G they can b easily hacktivated by redsn0w so you won't need an ATT sim
  3. bellyfrog

bellyfrog New Member

I was planning on purchasing the 3gs model, does this change that?
  4. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yes Yes It does. Is it brand new with 4.0. Also is there a link I can see because there is no sim hacktivation for 3gs but i need a new phone........
  5. bellyfrog

bellyfrog New Member

No it's not brand new it's a used iPhone 3GS 16gb from AT&T network. So could you explain a bit please? What do I need to be able to jailbreak this phone? Just the phone and an AT&T simcard?

I think it will be running iOS4 yes, I heard they just released jailbreak for iOS4
  6. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If it's running iOS 4.0 you won't be able to jailbreak because there isn't one yet for this type of model. Even if the phone comes with 3.1.3 you still won't be able to hacktivate without an ATT sim. The only way is if it comes with 3.1.2 and you use Blackra1n. This is why I would recomend you to buy a 3G since they are Pwnd4Life and can be jailbroken/hacktivated no matter what.
  7. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Since you have to get a 3g can I have the link to the 16GB 3gs from ebay
  8. bellyfrog

bellyfrog New Member

Ok but let's use this as an example. Say I get the phone and its a 3GS running ios4. I have an AT&T simcard available. Can I restore the phone to os3.1.3 and then proceed with the jailbreak/unlock?

Because I read an article that says if you have a 3.13 jailbroken 3GS you can then upgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak it using PwnageTool 4.

EDIT- activating the phone is not the problem, the problem is if i can jailbreak/unlock it.

i know the unlock tool works for 3gs but you obviously need to jailbreak the phone to apply the unlock. so the only thing i need to know is if its possible to jailbreak a 3gs which is running 4.0, by either downgrading the firmware or just as standard. i hear the 4.0 jailbreak should be released pretty soon...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    sorry but i won't give the link until i know the situation fully as i might decide to buy it, if i get all the info confirmed and decide not to bid on it i will post the link

9. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You need shsh blobs to downgrade to 3.1.3 (please pm me the link so other users don't get before I have a chance to)