Hey there!

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Ripkord, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Ripkord

Ripkord New Member

Hey everyone, my name is Dan and I'm completely blown away by this forum. Now to the bad news...I know little to nothing about technology so I'm gonna' ask a lot of stupid question so please have some patience with me.

Here we go:

After reading through a lot of threads I now know what Jailbreaking is. But what I want to know, in simplified terms if its possible, is what it will do for my iPod. I own a 3G iPod with version 3.1.3. I haven't upgraded to 4.0 because I've read about a lot of bad things happening to iPods after this upgrade. Unfortunately, the other problem is that I'm on dial up, and that really sucks. If and when I decide to go to 4.0, the upgrade to to 4.0 would take about a whole day with dial up!

Which Jailbreak is best for my iPod? I read that some people are experiencing lock up with their iPods after they Jailbreak. Is this because they used the wrong type of Jailbreak? I mean, should I use Blackrain or Spirit, or should I go to Jailbreakme.com?

I know I'll have more questions for you guys, but I really want to learn about this tech stuff because I'm hooked on my iPod.

Thanks to all who help out!

Dan
  2. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay cause you have a 3.1.3 ipod touch 3g, spirit is your best-bet being designed for 3.1.3 especially and works for all devices on 3.1.3
    So just google spirit and download it, then jailbreak in one click.

Happy to help.
  3. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you really want to stay on 3.1.3 then use spirit from spiritjb.com to jailbreak. In a way I still wish I was on 3.1.3 because many of the tweaks still work on that firmware. But I'm on 4.0 with a jailbroken iPod touch 3G and haven't experienced any problems yet.

And welcome to the forums! I and others will be happy to answer any questions. But remember to always use the search function above before posting a new thread (just to make sure there aren't so many threads that ask the same question). And be sure to check out the rules.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. daitem11

daitem11 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok so if you jailbreak it you can basically change your theme or overall background of the ipod you can get teh gba player for itouch and there are many other tweaks you can do the best thing is to jsut experiment but if oyu ahve dialup you will somehow need to get wifi cuz thats importatn for jailbreaking
  5. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, without wifi a jailbroken ipod is vary hard to use...

Just try to spend time in wifi hotspots when you need a another cydia app.
  6. Ripkord

Ripkord New Member

Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot for the replies/help!

daitem11-what is a gba player? If I can't get wifi in my home is it still worth Jailbreaking? I mean, I can go to a local pizza place that has wifi for its customers if I need to, and that gives me an excuse to eat more pizza! LOL!!!
  7. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    He was referring to the GBA emulator. I allows you to play GameBoy advance games on your iPod. You will need wifi or cyder to use the jailbreak, however.
  8. daitem11

daitem11 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    haha nice one! well of course its easiest if your at home but what you can d is do a little research of waht you need and then go to the pizza place and do wahtever you wrote down basically the more time you spend on wifi the more "tweaked" you can get your ipod and yeah teh gba player is a gameboy advance player since your new id jsut tweak with the themes for now and if you need help with those id be more than happy to help you jsut pm me and btw you need wifi to jailbreak your ipod cuz you do it directly from it haha XD
  9. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Welcome, glad you could join us

Please take a moment to read the rules, and search before you post - both can be done via the navigation bar, which can be found at the top of the page.

Please check out this awesome guide for new members!
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/...d.php?t=285303

If your interested in jailbreaking your device and want to know how to do this,
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/...d.php?t=302898

Everyone is really friendly here, and will be happy to help!
    See you around
  10. Ripkord

Ripkord New Member

Thanks for the welcome iMikkie! I've been trying to read everything here for new members and those links will be a big help. I appreciate you taking the time to put up the links.

Thanks again daitem 11 for the additional help! You guys are really great here!

Dan