Hey all, Aussie 16gb touch owner here

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by dpople, Oct 6, 2007.

1. dpople

dpople New Member

Hey guys, as the title says im from Australia and i have recently picked up my shiny new ipod touch, i absolutely love it but to be honest, when the iphone is released here in australia i will be giving this one to my wife and trading up to the real thing. Anyone else in oz planning the same?
  2. t3homni

t3homni New Member

Where'd you buy it? I'm really hesistant to buy a touch here because we pay so much more than the USA.
  3. dantega

dantega New Member

iPod touch plan

Hi there, I'm not Aussie but I live in Melbourne since last year. I also picked up my new Touch like two weeks ago from Myers and it's been an awesome time so far. The iPhone won't be here officially till next year, so by that time I'll probably consider switch to that as well only if the clash btw unlocking it and Apple's offical updates is solved, otherwise I'll keep this 16gb touch.

cheers
  4. dpople

dpople New Member

got mine at JB hifi for 550 or so, whatever the list price is for the 16gb. I actually pre ordered it at an apple dedicated store but they still haven't called me so I guess they missed out on a sale. I was in the city (Sydney cbd) and I stopped in at the jb in galleries victoria on release day and they had one left in stock so I thought, why not!
  5. trankillity

trankillity New Member

I'm also an Aussie with the 16gb version. Got it through the online store.

Was immensely happy with it as a device til I started to find the absolutely crippling flaws like: no 64-bit windows OS compatibility (this set me back $160 for Vista 32 and $1k for hardware upgrade), inability to add calendar appointments (no biggy really) and inability to be used as file storage.

The last was a major blow for me as I work in the animation industry and I intended to use it as a transport device. I'm just hoping and praying that iNdependance gets working so that we can get what we truly deserve (i.e. a working calendar.app and *some* form of file transfer capability).
  6. dpople

dpople New Member

I have no doubt the touch will be jail broken eventually. I doubt it will be nearly as quick as the iphone was. I'm also a bit annoyed with the lack of PIM functions but as I said at the start I'll get the iPhone eventually any way so no big issue for me. Can't deny the awesome gadget appeal of this thing. That's why I got one.
  7. trankillity

trankillity New Member

Unfortunately it looks like we may never get the iPhone as the only network that can support the EDGE protocol is Telstra and they seem quite unenthused by the idea of the iPhone. I read a quote somewhere from a Telstra exec saying "Apple should stick to what they know best, which isn't phones". Unless of course Apple release a 3G version of the iPhone with some crazy-increased battery life (cos 3G is so intensive).
  8. dpople

dpople New Member

IMO the longer the wait the better. We will likely get the second generation if if takes a year or two more to reach our shores and looking at how much apple usually improves their second generation products I think we will be getting the better deal.

I just pray that 3 mobile don't get the rights.