Hesitant to jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by AnthonyLonas, Dec 4, 2008.

1. AnthonyLonas

AnthonyLonas New Member

Hello,
    I'm new to these forums and was wondering how the jailbreak process was. I know that jailbroken iphones and ipod touches work just the same as if they weren't and much more after the jailbreak. But I have a question. What happens to the jailbroken firmware once a new one comes out? say for example, my firm is 2.2 and i have a jailbroken ipod touch and a new firmware comes out. If i update to the "Legal" firmware, does the jailbreak just get overwritten? or does it just screw up my ipod for being hacked? i just done want to screw up the functionality it already has. i love this thing to death and wouldn't want to jeperdise it for some new features. can i go back to a regular firmware at will or is it harder than that? I Just dont want the features i have now to be broken in some way.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yup. A new firmware won't be instantly jailbroken, and upgrading will unjailbreak it. When I first got my iPhone, I was hesitant to jailbreak it as well, because I had paid all 400$ dollars for it. You come to realize it isn't really that dangerous, but it's your call.
  3. I KILL

I KILL New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    welcome to the forums!
    well, every day the jailbreaking process becomes easier and easier, also more secure!
    93% of the time, when something happens to your ipod, it's because you did something wrong. i bricked my ipod 10 times and my ipods fine right now thanks to the restore feature on itunes! i jailbroke my ipod the first day i got it

i say do it! you get alot more stuff out of it! if you need help jailbreaking or have problems, PM me.
    - I KILL
  4. AnthonyLonas

AnthonyLonas New Member

sweet thanks, i probably would need help. Any things you could point out that gives the jailbroken ones an added advantage?
  5. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can only "brick" an iPod once (although iPods aren't even brickable through software at the moment, really). Bricking is completely ruining beyond repair. You just had to restore 10 times, lol.
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There's really no consequences or anything to be worried about when you jailbreak.

If you jailbreak your current firmware and a new one is released, updating will be smooth and just like normal. The jailbreak and all applications/mods you installed will be overwritten, and no longer there. It won't screw up your iPod if you update after a jailbreak.

Also, it's not illegal if you were wondering and only voids your iPod's warranty. But even that can be fixed by restoring through iTunes which sets it back to factory default and then your warranty is in-tact again.

Good luck

7. keyboarder

keyboarder Banned

It cant mess anything up really. Just restore if you messup.
  8. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    After reading all the posts about how jailbreaking is safe I am happy and confident. I will jailbreak my pod touch 2g as soon as the jailbreak comes out!!! Can't wait for it!!
  9. I KILL

I KILL New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yea, good luck!
  10. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

dont worry about it, its easy and if anything goes wrong (very very slight chance) u can restore